Logo

Motor weight vs boat size

stumpnocker

"Hi all,
new to the forum he

"Hi all,
new to the forum here. I ran across this site doing a google search to resolve a little problem I'm having. It looks like there's a lot of info here (too much to digest without spending a lot of time!) so I thought I'd join up and see if maybe you could help.
I recently bought a Stumpnocker 5 with a mid-80's Force 85 hp motor. This boat is rated for max hp of 75 so I'm thinking the motor is just too big for the boat. The motor seems to run great and it planes quickly but the boat rides real low in the back. It has a hydro foil that also doesn't ride on top of the water... when planed out it is several inches below the surface. The trim is all the way down. The foil is located even with the bottom of the hull. Should I ditch this motor for a lighter one? The new Stumpnockers are all sold with 50 etecs.
Thanks in advance..."

"Did you try trimming the engi

"Did you try trimming the engine up ?

Hydrofoils unless they are completely flat, should lift the stern and push the nose down."

"hi Brian,
thanks for you rep

"hi Brian,
thanks for you reply. The motor is trimmed down as far as it will go, that is, I drop the motor down all the way against the transom until the trim motor starts whining.

It also sits low in the back when just sitting there. I'm thinking the weight of the motor is just too much for the boat. I also just noticed some small cracks in the fiberglass at each side of the transom which might be related. They don't seem to go all the way thru, it looks like the outer layer of fiberglass is peeling up. The transom does not flex at all when you push / pull on the motor so it seems solid.

I'm thinking I'll swap this motor out for something smaller and move the battery up front. The boat is only rated for 75 hp anyway so maybe the 85 is just too heavy."

Back