Logo

Water in outdrive

tbeau

"I always check fluids before

"I always check fluids before I take my boat out. Unfortunately, the last time it took it out I did not tighten the dip stick in the outdrive. I did not notice this until after the outing and you guessed it; water entered the outdrive. I immediately drained the oil but I am concerned about water/moisture being trapped and causing corrosion. Any recommendations for removing water/moisture from the outdrive without having to disassembly the entire thing?"

"Oil will become hydrogenated.

"Oil will become hydrogenated. As long as it remained white/milky colored, you are probably OK. Draining it and letting it sit before re-filling will be good.

Always replace the drain plug and dip stick O-rings when you remove them. (DO NOT re-use them!)
Personally, I use a small hand held impact driver on all drain plugs (not too much force, just more than what a screw driver can offer).
I use a channel lock pliers on the dip stick dispite the little marks that it can make on the top.
If you have ever heard of, or seen, the damaged caused from a drain plug or dip stick falling out, you'll soon do this as well.

."

When I changed my oil i notice

When I changed my oil i notice a very little water in the oil. Now I notice a little pin hole on the lower boot. I think this is connected to the raw water. what should I be doing to make sure my out drive if up to par?

"Kelvin, first.... best to sta

"Kelvin, first.... best to start a new thread on your topic.
Secondly, the lower "boot" is an exhaust bellows. It will have with a weep hole in it. This is normal.

."

Back