Logo

Mercruiser 50 Alpha 1 g2

harisnyc

"Hi everyone,
I was so happy

"Hi everyone,
I was so happy to find this website and I hope someone
can help me.
My brother and I bought a 21 foot corona in mint condition and for a great price. We were so excited we took it to the water the next day. Right before taking it out of the trailer, try to start it and nothing. Both batteries dead. Took it back to the land and bought a new battery and recharged the old one. Installed it and brought it back to the ramp. It started automatically and it sounded great. We were so happy. We had a half tank of fuel so decided to fill up to the top. Few minutes of riding the engine stoped. We were crushed. So restarted again. Few feet away , same thing. We noticed that everytime we accelerated it shut down. We tried turning around and go back but nothing. It sounded like the engine had no gas or is if it was running low or overflooding. But the last time we tried stating the engine did not crank at all. The key turned the gauges were working and the beeping sound was on but the only thing we heard was a click in the engine comp. We called in to have us towed back. We are missarable and cannot afford to take it to the mechanic for now. Hopefully someone can give us some pointers, please. We think it might be 2 problems, one electric and one with gas. But meybe it's none but something totallly different. Again your help is very much appreciated it."

"Ayuh,....Have you given it a

"Ayuh,....Have you given it a Complete Tune Up,+ Full Service,..??
Changed any Filters,..??"

The guy that we bought it from

The guy that we bought it from said on 4of July he did a full tune up. And put in a new carburator.

"I bet he was 80 years old and

"I bet he was 80 years old and said it ran great last year..........

I also bet you may find water in the oil, ( not winterized) water in the gas, carb in need of a rebiuld, and a laundry list of other hidden issues because the guy you bought it from lied!

Did you fill the tank till gas came out of the vent? if so you may have clogged up the vent line and the gas tank is now not vented to air.

My advice would be to contact him and either get your money back or make him pay for proffesional repairs."

What year engine? 2 or 4 barr

What year engine? 2 or 4 barrell? You replaced one battery; did you clean the cable ends? The other battery; did you switch to it and try to start w/it? Is the choke closing when the engine is cold? Does the accellerator pump squirt two good shots of fuel when the throttle is pushed?

""We noticed that everytim

""We noticed that everytime we accelerated it shut down."
-Sounds like the power valve may be clogged.

"But the last time we tried stating the engine did not crank at all."
-A flooded engine will appear to be hydro-locked. Which will keep the engine from cranking or turning over. This could be from the fuel float valve not closing soon enough.

Either way, I'd definitely start with a carb rebuild."

Back