Logo

I need help from people smarter then me

chris_epp

"I have a 1988 2455 bayliner s

"I have a 1988 2455 bayliner sunbridge, with a 305(302) omc in it. Its missing brutally, is the only thing that causes an engine like this to miss is the plugs, cap, wires?

Also The rpm is about 500 less then the optimal operating range, it doesn't get any higher then 3500. which only allows it to do about 25mph. last summer it was easily doing 30-35mph. But i have a different prop on it, a four blade 15 by 16 pitch. the old one was a 3 blade 15 1/4 by 15. Is the prop the only reason i'd have the lack of speed? I can barely get up on a plane with 3 people on board. before i was planing and wake boarding with 6 or more.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a good prop that allows me to plane easily with a lot of weight? i don;t really care about high end speed, I just want to be able to plane and board while I have a 5 or 6 people on again.

last question, does anyone know a website that gives you tricks to optimize engine horsepower/torque?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks"

"[b]"Its missing brutally,

""Its missing brutally, is the only thing that causes an engine like this to miss is the plugs, cap, wires?"
No, but thats a good place to start.

"The rpm is about 500 less then the optimal operating range, it doesn't get any higher then 3500."
I would not expect it to if it's "missing brutally".

"Can anyone make a suggestion for a good prop "
Not the time for prop shopping. Get the engine problems straightened out and it may run to suit you."

"Generally people go down at l

"Generally people go down at least an inch of pitch when going to a 4 blade, since you've gone up an inch I would expect that has cost you somewhere between 300-400 rpms and it will perform like a dog now especially your hole shot.

However as Chuck says, the important thing to focus on is the miss, until you get that cleared up the the rpm's and performance will be all over the place and you could end up making a wrong prop choice."

Back