Logo

75 gamefisher what happened

chaotic_wayz

"have a 7.5 hp gamefisher, fin

"have a 7.5 hp gamefisher, finally got it up and running, took it out for a test run. Made it about 300 yards before i heard a big clank. now the prop no longer pushes. what exactly did i break, and what can i do to fix it? motor still runs great. thanks"

"The obvious is a spun prop&#4

"The obvious is a spun prop(how deep -clean was the water?Often,if you drill a rock or stump,the pin HOPEFULLY WILL shear.IF the prop is A stainless steel model the possibility for complete and utter anniliation of the lower end goes way up,it has no give and the ear of the prop will not shear the pin,just simply stop the drive in its tracks.Drain the lower end oil and see what evidence is there,and it is a clue as to the next area to inspect.Curiously,Did you service the bottom end,I.E.- check gear oil level before you took it out?May sound academic,but.....GOOD LUCK"

"Jeremiah; There are several

"Jeremiah; There are several places that one can "go south". First is the sheer pin As that was a die cast alumn prop, it had a small brass shear pin with spares on the motor in a rubber carrier some where, usually near the transom clamps.

Next thing that liked to break (if some one used a steel nail instead of the sheer pin) was the bendix clutch for neutral. These cost more than you can buy another motor for so if broken, most people braze them together and make a "pull and Go" out of them.

Last is the total failure of the lower-- usually the pinion gear shears off the drive shaft. So

If it is something "really bad" --would get a parts motor and go from there. I've bought these "not running" for $20.00 at most yard sales and flea markets. If you would like help with a repair book, I'll send you a copy."

"NewBee question
Over the ye

"NewBee question
Over the years manufactures have used these same lower units in many Other brands and configurations (McChulloch, Homelite,?? I would like to find information on props and legs that will interchange with my Gamefisher 7.5 Tecumseh power head. where can i find a list of manufactures that have used this same lower units???

thank you
Johnny Rotten
question.gif
"

Afraid the only thing that wil

Afraid the only thing that will fit is another Tecumseh- and then you need to be close to the same year and power as they changed the base several times -mostly at the cooling plate and they had 3 shifter options - one of which would only work on it own.

2 prop designs and 3 sizes also pretty restricted. No homelite or Mac that I know of will go.

Back