Logo

Cobra lower unit

fishermanmike

Was running in a very strong c

Was running in a very strong current coming around the bar under the golden gate bridge. My trim wasnt all the way down but wasnt up that far. Got caught on a wave and motor struggled but eventually grabbed and started making way again. When I got to smoother water noticed noise that seems to be coming from lower unit. Gets worse when I turn drive over to either side. Noise will get louder the more torque applied by turning wheel over farther. Put boat(21' seaswirl with 351 ford windsor) on trailer. Spin prop feels smooth. Can`t feel anything. I notice prop shaft moves in and out around an 1/8". Any opinions. Outdrive was completely rebuilt last august. I bought boat a few months ago. Very few hours on this unit. I have receipts. Previous owner paid over 2K for rebuild.

"Looks like from reading on I

"Looks like from reading on I may have answered some of my own questions. My shifting has been harder than normal since I purchased the boat. I was taking it back into inland Marine in Antioch, ca.(they did the previous work)after this trip anyway because I was now having to drop it into reverse out of forward to get nuetral. If I put it in nuetral it still was in gear if not. Sounds like worse case scenario is improperly adjusted shifter may have jacked up some gears. I`ll post the results."

Back