Logo

Crusader exhaust

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
"couple questions here
1. cha

"couple questions here
1. changing my risers on my '85 270 crusaders.fresh water cooled.from the spacer forward to the manifold are 3 openings at 9,12 and 3 oclock. correct or not?
2.from the spacer to the riser is the blocking plate.
3. from the riser to the elbow is only 1 opening at 6 oclock...correct or not??
4. velvet drives have 2 senders.looking from the rear forward 1 is at about 12 oclock and the other at about 3 oclock.both have 2 wires to them. what are these for??
thanks to all of you have been most helpful."

"look at the end of this post:

"look at the end of this post:
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12489/287897.shtml
It has a link to a great chart addressing the gaskets' orientation. Elbow outlet @ 12 o'clock.

on the gear, the upper switch is overheat warning and usually ties into the 'horn circuit' that has the low oil pressure and the engine overheat switches. The one on the side should be roughly aligned with the F-N-R selector - its the neutral safety switch."

i looked at that osco site and

i looked at that osco site and it shows the correct gasket placement location but not the clock positions of the holes or do the gasket tabs point up? my riser to elbow gaskets came apart with the hole at 6 oclock but thats not saying that was correct.??

"I THINK the rule is: the pas

"I THINK the rule is: the passages that get blocked are the bottom one(s). The idea is to force water up high to cool the metal above. Of course, if you are sealing against the SS blocking plate, then it doesn't really matter which gasket or what orientation.
"

"That PDF file, at the link at

"That PDF file, at the link at the end of the thread shown above, shows the 'clock positions.

The tabs go UP, either 12 o'clock, or centered about 12 o'clock. Like Dave said, you want the water to fill the cavity before exiting."

okay i looked again.i have fre

okay i looked again.i have fresh water cooled with spacers.in the pic it has the arrow down for a number 1 gasket that has 1 hole.does that mean the hole between the riser and elbow goes at 6 oclock? it seams 12 oclock would fill the riser more...right?

"Deffinitely at 12 o'clock

"Deffinitely at 12 o'clock (tabs up). The arrow is just pointing down in th egraphic but does not mean the hole or tabs go down. Like Mark and Dave said, you want the riser to fill so that it provides more cooling water to fill the riser."

Has anyone moved the spacer be

Has anyone moved the spacer between the riser and the elbow to allow freash water/antifreeze to cool riser. This set up is on friends Trojan w/454 Crusaders. Would make changing elbows only necessary.

"You can give it a whirl but y

"You can give it a whirl but you need to check a couple things first.

You need to make sure he got the bigger 4" heat exchanger - most do but there's always one.....

The other item - you need to make sure the spacer's outlet doesn't wind up higher than the HX fill neck. If it does, you'll have a time getting all the air out of the fresh side. Until the air is out, it won't cool regularly.

The other more obvious items are enough of the proper gaskets - 3 hole versions on the fresh side and minor plumbing from the adapter back to the HX."

we will go with the 12 oclock

we will go with the 12 oclock position then. as i said i'm new to the boating world but learning fast.my head has a macerator pump which i had never heard of.as i understand this grinds the waste for discharge overboard.i also am told this is no longer acceptable practice.is this true?? if so i'm going to eliminate it as it is in the way of access to my bilge pump anyway.also is overboard discharge of the galley/bathroom sinks still acceptable? what about the shower? thanks

"whether you can discharge and

"whether you can discharge and what you can discharge is a 'locally regulated' issue. To get a straight answer, you need to check with your local game warden, natural resource office, coast guard....offshore, its usually not an issue. That all changes when you get back within the sight of land."

Back