Logo

01 350 mercruiser wonbt idle

dpcub

Contributing Member
"not discussed on this board,

"not discussed on this board, but have on the evinrude outboard. I have been reading some of you posts and you guys are just as helpful as the other guys.
Here's the problem. this is a 350 with carb. It sat for a couple years before this year. My girlfriend bought it, took it to the local shop, and they did the following. drained the fuel, replaced separator filter, oil change, and it did run fine for a couple weekends. last weekend, the boat would start then die at an idle. If I gave it throttle and pumped the accelerator piston a little bit, it would stay running. If I got the rpms up to 1200 to 1500, it would run, but when I idled down, it would die.
Anyone have any ideas. I thought fuel sep. or filter at the carb. Maybe fuel pump? One guy said that it sounded like the idle jet stopped. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel problem, and since it sat, maybe something out of the tank.
I won't be at the computer the rest of the evening, but would appreciate any ideas from you gurus. I am an aircraft inspector and technician, so I understand mechanical things, but I'm not familiar with these engines.
thanks for your help
Dan Catherman"

I think some guel varnish brok

I think some guel varnish broke loose and has lodged in the idle circuits. Try this repair; remove the carb screen and clean it; reinstall. Remove the fuel canister filter and empty it in a jar. Look for water to settle out and for rust looking debris; that is granular fuel varnish. If water is in the tank add a container of Startron for water in the fuel and jump up and down on the trailer to mix it.

Replace the filter if you find a lot of crap or water. Fill up the new one w/SeaFoam and screw it on tight. Dump the rest in the tank. Run the engine for 5 mins. on muffs if not in the water. Turn it off and let it sit 24-48 hours.

Start it up and see if it idles after it warms up. If it idles rough then repeat the SeaFoam to the filter and run it 5 mins. Let her sit again. If it won't idle then it needs a reman.

thanks guys... I just went and

thanks guys... I just went and got the boat from the marina last evening. I will get the carb info soon.

makomark... it is a 2 barrel..

makomark... it is a 2 barrel.. the only numbers on the carb... "SAE J1223 marine". I did a few checks... I pulled the screen at the carb.. totally clean. it has an electric fuel pump and I checked pressure.... 5-7 psi. I have not pulled the main separator because I don't have one to replace it with.
Thanks again

"I think this might have been

"I think this might have been a simple fix... I pulled the idle jet and blew air through it. put it back in... 1 1/2 turns out, and it seems to idle fine now. does this sound logical... I am going to replace the separator filter when I get one later today."

Back