Logo

What is the proper running temp for 1988 FWC 454

rmm

Regular Contributor
What is the proper running tem

What is the proper running temp at gauges for 1988 454? Noticed after about a 1 hour run this weekend gauges were reading about 170-178 (hard to tell exactly). Feel like that is slightly higher than usual but both engines were reading the same and the water temp has warmed to about 81 degrees.

Are these numbers within range?

"The caps let you clean the ra

"The caps let you clean the raw water side of the HX. If coolant is leaking out, time for a new HX."

could not tell if it was leaki

could not tell if it was leaking . the heat exchanger is sea water. THe coolant tank was not leaking. JUst the side cape is Cracked but no evidence of water leaking. I have had the Raw water pump off twice. its not leaking and It now has a new impeller going to check all the hoses next

"Jim,

why not just replace

"Jim,

why not just replace those side caps and rubber gaskets? AND, once they are off, you can see whether or not any of the core is clogged... a 9/16 wrench and thats it"

thats the plan Al I am sitting

thats the plan Al I am sitting home right now waiting for ups guy withnew caps and gaskets. Hopefully thats the trick. Core was very very clean. the boat has always been in fresh water. found a used up zinc and I back washed the oil cooler and did get some crap out of it but not a ton. I put a white sock 0ver the inlet and caught all that came out. Gonna put all back together today. and test run it. if it heats up will check risers and exhaust hose's for collapsed hose. Scratching my head. It seems to be a blockage problem in my mind. Cause it doesn't always happen. But it happens more then not

"Since the HX zinc was 'us

"Since the HX zinc was 'used up', I bet the same maintenance philosphy was used for the oil cooler zincs. Unfortunately, when the chunks fall off the oil cooler zinc, they usually get wedged into the water tube openings. they can fall back out but usually don't. The other trouble spot is the elbows. many posts on this board...may want to use the search button at the top to see those details."

My mechanic recommends not usi

My mechanic recommends not using zincs in the oil/transmission cooler (U-cooler) because the zinc particles can clog the cooler in the long run.

""My mechanic recommends n

""My mechanic recommends not using zincs in the oil/transmission cooler (U-cooler) because the zinc particles can clog the cooler in the long run."

Yep, it's the rock and the hard spot. Not using zinc will corrode the copper tubes faster; using zinc will plug the tubes and overheat the engine.

I use only the original zinc and let it go until I replace the entire unit at 10 years. But, I rinse with fresh water after each use. Even then, the cooler will not last till that 13th season, as I recently found out."

Ok Guys Problem solved!! Exha

Ok Guys Problem solved!! Exhaust hose collapsed inside.Replaced all hoses and one elbow.Everything stayed cool. running hard for 1 hour.Thanks to all for your input. I did check everything all you folks threw out there.

Back