Logo

Aq131d no spark

admiral_jake

"thanx bud, so do you have any

"thanx bud, so do you have any ideas? the guy i bought the boat from said that petronix mod only has about 20hrs or so on it."

also under alt is a brown wire

also under alt is a brown wire and a purple wire neither are hooked up? seems the purple would go to alt..because the alt needs field power.. but both wires are ign. powered. is there any way to get wiring diags. e-mailed to me?

"Jake, so that we do not lose

"Jake, so that we do not lose track, your original posts was:

... i have no spark from coil, I have power at both sides of coil with key on. I have a new coil. It had the dist..conversion kit on it already when i bought the boat. timing belt is a little sloppy i will change that. But for some reason i cant get spark? also if my temp gauge is right it seems to run hot, when it did run of course.... Got up one morning and it wouldn't start. I get out of work at 5 hopefully you have an awnser!! thank you so much

First, make sure the red terminal in the Pertronix module is connected to the + of the coil, and the black to the -.

If the engine does not fire, try hotwiring the + of the coil with the + of the battery. If the engine starts, remove the jumper if you want to stop it (it won't stop by turning the ignition key off).

Pertronix ignition modules are quite reliable, but they are not indestructible. If (when) they fail, it will be irrespective of the number of running hours.

The brown and purple wires may have been intentionally disconnected if the original brushless alternator was replaced with a single pole alternator (far cheaper). This is the current situation in my own boat, so you may want to verify if this is also your case.

Also, you can download the owner's manual for your engine from here:

http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/ViewFileFrame.aspx?n=172178&r=2008-10-29-17-5 3-18&t=PDF&a=7746277&p=T403&d=OwnersPublication&s=15176602&lang=en-GB

The wiring diagrams are at the end of the manual.

Good luck."

"would the "cam sensor&#34

"would the "cam sensor" or whatever they call that conversion kit,hold a 1.5ohm coil? also there is a purple wire coming off the alt,but do i trust it? the wiring diag. although helpful did not show alt color. i really appreciate all your help. you have made summer better for everyone!!"

"Your engine is supposed to ha

"Your engine is supposed to have a 3 ohm coil with an internal resistor. The 1.5 ohm coil is for 8 cylinder application.

The wiring diagram is for the original SEV Marchal or Valeo brushless alternators, which needed field excitation provided via the purple wire. That purple wire is also supposed to have a resistor (around 75 ohm) or a diode to prevent backfeeding of the ignition coil via the alternator (without that resistor, you probably would not be able to stop the engine by turning off the ignition key).

If the previous owner replaced the original alternator with a Delco Remy (or similar) single wire alternator, then you don't need that purple wire anymore. Many of us (including me) have done that conversion, as the single wire alternators are far more common and much cheaper.

If you are not using that purple wire, it should be taped at the end or disconnected from the power source (it is usually spliced with the one that goes to the + of the coil)."

"i'm pretty sure i still h

"i'm pretty sure i still have the original alt, i do have the purple wire with diode hanging off the alt.. but the previous owner had brown hooked up. Purple would've made the most sense, but ive been screwed by that before.. i wondered why my new deep cell wasn't keeping up. anyway thanks agian. i ordered a new conversion kit from summit, and the old coil i replaced ohmed out at 1.0, so i should find a 3ohm coil? And maybe thats what took out the old module?"

the coil i took off was 1.0 oh

the coil i took off was 1.0 ohm and looked as if it were in that spot for quite some time. should i use the original?

Back