Logo

Repower Volvo AQ140A or new carb

mike_s

"I'm growing very tired of

"I'm growing very tired of my AQ140A - dual sidedraft Solex carbs as they are very problematic. I have had my carbs re-built and tuned and they still don't work properly (flooding, runs a little hot, will not idle, hard to start when warm etc.) I don't have the vacuum gauge or expertise to keep tuning them. So I'm considering the following:

1. try to adapt a single carb (simple carb) from another engine volvo car engine B21 carb version or AQ 120b, AQ 125A ??? ..will this work ?

2. re-power to a better engine that fits a 280 leg, (merc motor ?)....what other engines will work with the 280 leg ?

I can't afford a lot, and I would hate to spend over $ 900 on a Weber conversion carb kit to find out that it does not work or it is only part of the problem. I want to keep the boat as it was my Dad's old boat.........but....

Any suggestions or know of a good place to find parts (yes I know I'm talking about marine and I'm a aware of the acronym for BOAT)?

Thanks"

"NEVER install a car carb in y

"NEVER install a car carb in your engine. Also, if you are looking at single carb installation, you will have to install a different intake manifold as well.

Regarding re-powering, you are pretty much stuck with what you have or similar Volvo engine unless you want to go for a V6 or V8, and then you must be prepared to spend big bucks in parts. If that is the route you want to follow, you would be better off installing a complete package (engine, bellhousing, exhaust manifolds and Y-pipe, transom shield, leg) and selling yours. This very same topic gets debated a few times every year.

Regarding parts, I believe there is someone who runs some sort of a VP boneyard in Parksville, consider giving him a call at (250 )954-2321.

My personal take: live with what you have or consider getting another boat which is already equipped the way you want. It will be cheaper in the long run."

"Thank you for your advise…..I

"Thank you for your advise…..I’m going to give it one last shot! The number you gave me is disconnected, was this guy named Nigel a Volvo guru mechanic ? If so, I think he has temporary closed shop as he has been retained by Volvo Canada to help teach and certify mechanics internationally.

The problem whit my boat is it starts fine when cold and runs for the first 5 minutes until warm and then it will not idle and dies. After it is warm, it has a very hard time starting and tends to flood out even when I try it with ¾ throttle when starting.

Could my problem be the fuel pump? Can I order a regular (auto) B21 engine fuel pump from Lordco ?"

"Mike, I used to have a 17.5&#

"Mike, I used to have a 17.5' Double Eagle with an AQ140A and I am familiar with many of the symptoms you describe. After lots of initial trouble I got the carbs synchronized with a Unisyn tool and installed a Pertronix 2842 electronic ignition kit. That made an incredible difference.

However, if today I was in the same circumstances, I would probably give a try to the Weber carb conversion. A few forum members have posted that they are satisfied with the results.

Somehow, I don't think the fuel pump is the problem. Also, you CANNOT (should NOT) install an auto pump in your marine engine. However, the Sierra or Napa marine fuel pumps for your engine are reasonably priced. Check this.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/288311.shtml"

Back