Logo

Penta 57 shuts down after 20 minute rest 30 minutes and restarts

wmcdaniell

"2006 Volvo Penta 5.7 engines

"2006 Volvo Penta 5.7 engines cranks and runs great for about 20 minutes and then shuts down as if you had pulled the kill switch (engine is not over heating, oil pressure in good range). Let the engine sit for 30 minutes and the engine cank's with no problem. This is the second time in the last 2 days. Any help or suggestions."

"Are your engines fuel injecte

"Are your engines fuel injected or carburated? And what model? Also, after it stops, does an engine crank but does not start, or does it not crank at all when you turn the ignition key?"

Could be the high pressure fue

Could be the high pressure fuel pump (engine). had the exact same problem. if you have the extended warranty it wont cost you $700.00 Ive seen them on ebay for around $500. and it takes about 3 minutes to replace. Good luck

"Carman,
Thanks for the post

"Carman,
Thanks for the post but I ruled out the fuel systme because the engine doesn't act like it maybe starving for fuel. The engine shuts down like if you turned the key off."

"Will not Start for 30 Minutes

"Will not Start for 30 Minutes. You have a heat related problem.Not coolant but electronic. Try pulling off plug wire and look for strong blue spark. No spark or very weak spark you have bad module in the distibutor, and can be heat related.also look for bad grounds. Check your Temp gage when it shuts down, and temp when it will start."

I thought it most likly was a

I thought it most likly was a heat related electronic problem but I did not want to influence any ones suggestions. I'm seeming to lean more to the cut off switch after playing with it today. I engaged the switch about 10 times and only once did the switch not activate. The question is could the switch be heat sensitive? I will test your suggestion Tuesday and report results.

Back