Logo

50 HP Johnson Jet Pump with interchangeable prop unit

phillies78

Graham or anyone...have some o

Graham or anyone...have some opinions on a 2000 Johnson 50 HP jet pump with an interchangeable lower prop unit?

"Well- if you put a jet on any

"Well- if you put a jet on anything, it cuts the horse power to the boat by 1/3rd. So if your happy with 35 hp performance, it's a blast to go in the shallows and rapids, depending on the boat. And, you can always put the lower back on.

That package is usually sold because of poor performance. The biggest boat we ever put a 55 jet on was a thin hulled jet river boat about 14 foot. And that performen OK. Was a great "starter boat" and we soon sold them into a 17' with a 120 jet on it.

These all ran the "Rogue" river out of Grants Pass. Which isn't noted for its white water."

Thanks for your post William.

Thanks for your post William. I'm very aware of the loss of horsepower attributable to jets. I am more interested in opinions on the reliability and quality of the Johnson jets compared to other manufacturers. I fish the Susquehanna River in Southcentral PA and a 40 HP jet on a 16 ft. is more than adequate...and considering summertime running I'm not too sure I'd want anything bigger than a 50. I'm choosing between a Yamaha jet and the 50 HP Johnson jet. Which mnfr makes better jets? Thanks in advance for replies.

"Yamaha was the first to offer

"Yamaha was the first to offer jet out boards followed closely by Merc. I've put jets on most of them, including the Johnson. The big "killer" is the caviation when they come out of the water. Don't believe any of them had any warrentee with a jet - even new. So ya there is a risk. Believe they all run pretty much the same jet design. It all started with "Outboard Jet Corp" and they sold the design to any one who wanted one. There were lots of followers with design changes to avoid patent problems. Personally would go with a Yamaha, but they are a close copy of an E-rude johnson any way."

Back