Logo

2004 Nissan 8HP occasional sputtering at higher speeds

johnk

"Greetings! I've bought a

"Greetings! I've bought a relative unused '04 Nissan 8HP, which has been run maybe 20 hours tops. It's been sitting idle for 4+ years. It starts on the first pull and runs fine UNTIL I increase the RPMS. It'll run fine THEN start sputtering with severely decreased RPMS. Then it'll come back to life for a few moments and start sputtering all over again. The fuel is fresh, with what looks like a clean fuel filter. The bulb stays hard and the plugs are clean. Sounds like a clogged carb, right? Is this something the average person can clean? Is there a fuel additive which can clean out the carb? Do tell! Thanks in advance Oh Great Nissan Gurus! - John"

"Probably a dirty carb and the

"Probably a dirty carb and there is no fuel additive that can dissolve a clogged carb. Detailed cleaning, done using a service manual as a guide or visit ye local outboard mechanic."

I found that cleaning the carb

I found that cleaning the carb was fairly easy... not too much to screw up... I did separate the screws and the internal parts and wrote down what order I took them off and where they went back but after getting it off cleaning it then reassembling it...I probably could of skipped that work. There wasn't much to it other than don't soak the rubber or plastic parts and blow it out with an air compressor when its done soaking. Tip... download a free parts list from Nissan or a Nissan parts distributor so that you know what you are looking at if you get turned around.

Back