Logo

Intermittent Starter Issues

ehlien

Regular Contributor
Sometimes my starter cranks in

Sometimes my starter cranks intermittently. The first of the year it would not crank at all when I first turned the key. No sounds. I turned the main power switch off and on a few times and fionally got it to crank then no problems for a while. Batteries are good. Sometimes now I turn the key and get no sound not even clicking. This may go on for quite a long time or many attempts. Then one try the starter will engage. After that it will usually start the first crank. Anybody know what's up with that?

Key switch bad? Slave solenoi

Key switch bad? Slave solenoid fried? Turn the key to run and jump the top studs on the slave. If it spins the starter each time you jump it (3-4) then replace the slave sol. Clean the key switch wire connections.

If I turn the ignition key on

If I turn the ignition key on and jump the slave solenoid it starts every time no problemo. Does this mean the slave is bad/fried?

"Ok, acutally I think this tes

"Ok, acutally I think this test was wrong. If you jump the two big posts with the start switch/key on its going to crank like mine did but this will not tell you if the solenoid is bad. Also ,w
hen when I jumped the yellow/red starter switch wire on small front terminal to a positive battery source it also cranked indicating the solenoid was ok. I did both and replaced the solenoid anyway to be sure but that did not change anything. The key switch will still not make it crank so I figure the problem must be either in the yellow/red wire to the solenoid or the starter switch itself. Now I need to figure out how to check the switch out. I already repaced it a few years ago."

Back