Logo

Yamaha 1993 250

jake111361

"I am thinking about buying a

"I am thinking about buying a 22' Mako with a 1993 Yamaha 250. The rig has been stored for the last 5 years, and has had no more then 100 hours of total use. It was winterized prior to storage. I am a novice with engines. Am I going to have trouble, or is this an engine that will be reliable going forward?"

"It was well designed and well

"It was well designed and well built. A little light on displacement (191 cu in) for putting out 250 horses (in my opinion), but in line with what other mfg's did with a 3 litre block.

A word of caution though, UNDER-USED motors often have more issues than WELL-USED motors.

At 100 hours of total use that MAY indicate that the first year or two it was owned it saw some time on the water (like 5 weekends each year for a total of 50 hours a year) and then it started sitting.

Motors that don't get used, don't get maintained. A guy isn't going to take it in for regular service (and pay the prices) if the motor doesn't get used.

If it was winterized properly before it was layed up for 5 years, it can be "brought back" with some patience.

In your case where you admit you are an engine novice, you would be best served by having a Yami tech give the motor a good once over check. For an hour or so labour, they can check the compression, the ignition system, give everything a good look over and give you their opinion.

Then if you decide to buy the motor plan on another couple hours in the shop (unless you decide to undertake the rebirth yourself) to have the impeller, poppet and gear oil changed, throw in some new plugs, make sure the cylinders are lubed up, all the connections are good and get her fired up.

You may also have to have the carbs rebuilt (or at least cleaned) and maybe change the thermostats. Those are normally determined after it has been fired back up.

At a rough guess you could be looking at upwards of 1500 bucks or so for a shop to do an initial check and then restore it all (if the carbs need work - and after sitting 5 years that's a strong possibility).

If you are willing to learn how to do it yourself, a manual and all the parts you may need can be obtained for a few hundred dollars.

In any event, don't simply take the motor out and fire it right up - just to see how she runs. That could quickly lead to you asking the opinion of other motors in the used market, because that's a quick way to destroy what could possibly be an excellent motor..."

"Thanks Graham. I know the mot

"Thanks Graham. I know the motor has been very well cared for, it has been owned by a family member since new. It looks like with some care and money we could have a pretty good engine."

Back