Logo

Running rough

newman

88 3.0 liter went out thursday

88 3.0 liter went out thursday ran great 4 an hour started 2 shake real bad got back 2 dock stalled out would start back up but not easy think i saw fuel in water behind boat any ideas

"Flooded ? I'd first check

"Flooded ? I'd first check the clear tube from the fuel pump to the carb and make sure its dry.

Then i'd check the plugs see what they looked like, then I'd check the oil, feeling and smelling it, then maybe run it on the hose again. And look a little closer at things, the float could've stuck open flooding the engine.

Did you notice any smoke ? Black=fuel Blue=oil White=water/steam"

Plugs were a little wet. Clea

Plugs were a little wet. Clean them up re-installed them..one plug wire fell apart..replaced with spare. Still ran rough..pulled carb off to clean it..oil was good..What do ya think??

"Changed plugs, changed wires,

"Changed plugs, changed wires, rebuilt carb, pulled sparkplug wires while running, 1,2 & 3 stalled motor out, #4 - made no difference. can see raw gas coming out of exhaust..What do I try next???"

If removing #4 plug wire makes

If removing #4 plug wire makes no difference then that cylinder is dead. Next step would be a compression test.

Seeing gas on water from exh

Seeing gas on water from exhaust could simply be because #4 cyl is not burning it.

"totally agree with Barry on b

"totally agree with Barry on both his posts.

Seeing gas on the water is from the #4. if you dont have comp you would have a hole in the cyl and the engine wouldn't be pumping the fuel with the air in and out of that cyl.

Goto an autoparts store or even dollar store, sometimes hardware store and look for an inline spark tester ( has a bulb in it ).. insert it at the plug end and put the #4 wire on it.

If no spark then try the following.

Try swapping the #3 and #4 wire at both ends, if the dead cyl changes to #3 it's the wire or cap. if it stays its the plug ( could've cracked it going in) or the.

RARE but #4 lobe on the dist could be worn, can move the wires CW or CCW 1 and retime the engine.

Mark the bad plug wire with tap to reduce confusion.

You did gap the plugs right ? you didn't just install them from the box ??"

Switch the plug wires between

Switch the plug wires between 3 & 4 to see if the non-firing cylinder changes. Yes? You have a bad wire. No? Switch the plugs from 3 to 4. If it moves replace the spark plug.

If not: Check the compression on all cylinders w/a warm engine. Hold the throttle wide open; check it dry and then w/a tsp. of motor oil. Record both readings and let us know.

compression good found a bad r

compression good found a bad rear motor mount and the #4 wire was bad again found one that worked the mount and the wire is what i think caused the bad shake gonna get a better set of wires i saw the mount was loose when it was still running rough how bad a job is that mount and still need to tweak carb

"The motor mounts can be a pai

"The motor mounts can be a pain. they consist of a bolt, washer, spacer, then between the engine and transom plate is a Fiber Washer/like a peice of leather almost with a Spring sitting inside the circle of it. It may just need to be tightened up a bit but that can cause wear and damage to the coupler and gimbal if the engine is out of alignment. The motor is suppose to float on the springs, but could have a bad rubber mount in the transom plate. ( sorry for jumping around a bit )

bad wire will cause shake, so will the carb adjustment."

running better checked oil did

running better checked oil didnt look good dont no if its water or gas from carb leaking before i got float correct pullin it out friday

Back