Logo

Compression test results are these acceptable

starsh1p

Regular Contributor
"These are the results of the

"These are the results of the compression test of the 1987 Mercruiser 140 that I am buying for my boat, are they acceptable?

cyl.1 dry 165 wet 180

cyl.2 dry 165 wet 180

cyl.3 dry 145 wet 155

cyl.4 dry 150 wet 155

Thanks for your answers,
Mike"

Thanks for the quick answers g

Thanks for the quick answers guys. I didn't think I would get "like new " results but these seemed pretty good to me. Figure if I am not hard on the engine and maintain it well I should get some good use out of it. Of course a rebuild some time down the line is a probability but as long as I am not getting a complete lemon I will be happy. Probrobly better results than the engine in my pick up would get. As long as I can put this thing in my boat when I finish the floor and transom work and get some good times with my grandchildren out of it I will be happy. Never said I was hoping for a miracle. So these numbers don't jump out as being a mess is all I hoped for. Tooling around Lake Huron and enjoying some fishing time is what I am after. Thanks again.

usualy mike you take the high

usualy mike you take the high number and aslong as the others are within 15 percent then your ok im pretty sure 15% is the number if not someone will jump in and correct me

"Yeah Steve thats what I thoug

"Yeah Steve thats what I thought also. I was pleased with the results because I am redoing the transom , stringers and floor and didnt want to end up with no motor. I would not have been happy then and everyone knows I am much better when I am happy
"

"Just to add my two cents here

"Just to add my two cents here, those last two cylinders have a leaky valve or two. Noteing you have 180 lbs in those first two cyl wet and cant get more tan 155 out of the othe two wet shows that. Sure itll run ok for a while. If its been sitting for while that will contribute to the compression difference. Once you get it running and warmed up you might check again."

"Thanks Alan, it has been sitt

"Thanks Alan, it has been sitting for two years and will sit until the spring before I start it up in my boat unless I finish all the other work in record time. Not likely
"

Mike get you a can of fogging

Mike get you a can of fogging oil and spray a good bit in the cylinders it wont fog to the walls unless
its warm but will help free any stuck or corroded rings ive found it to be a good lubricant sorta like pb blaster

"will do when the time comes S

"will do when the time comes Steve. Rite now it is fogged and drained and sitting in a heated shop waiting for me to finish the hull work. Since I don't plan on running the engine till the spring I just might leave it there thru the winter otherwise it will sit in my boat outdoors all winter. Thanks for the info, I will put it all to good use in the spring."

Back