Logo

Electric shift to mechanical

cap10mac

"Hello all,

what would be i

"Hello all,

what would be involved with changing from an electric shift to a mech shift. I currently have a 1970ish electric shift on a chevy 350. Is this even possible to do.

Thanks in advance

Chris"

"Thank you, Hy

I have a hig

"Thank you, Hy

I have a high profile so that answers that.
How hard is it to do a reseal on the high profile? I do not have all the shimming tools so I have not even attempted it yet. the drive runs smooth, but I do have some water intrusion into the upper, but gear oil is cheap and easy to change."

"If you aren't changing an

"If you aren't changing any gears or bearings, you don't need any shimming tools. Just reuse the shims.
It's pretty easy.
If you have trucourse steering, the shaft around the steering gear is a common leak point. Pressure test it, if it's just that seal, you don't have to disassemble much at all."

"OK. One more set of questions

"OK. One more set of questions and I will leave you alone for the weekend.
I do not have trucourse, but the boat sat for years, so I thought it might be condensation causing the milky oil. I have since given up that hope.

I have an old drive that was given to me, the prop had "quit turning". After pulling it apart, the H2O shaft splines were gone as were the female end of the shaft in the upper. Stripped out is the best description I can think of. Would this cause the failure.
Hy, my question is this, on the drive with the milky oil, do I just pull it all down and replace all the rubber "O" rings on the shaft with "16" teeth as well as on the shaft with 21 teeth and then on the upper cap. I dont really see any "gaskets" just rubber rings. I do have a manual(seloc) but just looking for some insight.

Thanks again for all the great info."

Back