Logo

Crusader 270 overheated

chillee

"Hello all i'm a newbe to

"Hello all i'm a newbe to boating,the boat i was interested in was a 1994 silverton 31c with twin crusader 350 cid engines velvet drives,during the sea trial the port engine overheated and shut down .My question is does this model have a high temperature safety shut down,or is this a major problem and i should walk away from this boat"

"most all come with an overhea

"most all come with an overheat warning horn and some of the newer computer controlled engines have a 'limp home mode' that can operating temp driven.

If its due to lack of maintenance, it can be "expensive" depending upon the parts impacted by the neglect. I wouldn't label it as a major problem.

I you like the boat, get the owner to fix it before you buy it. If he wants to sell it, it should be fixed in a week or two, depending upon the backlog at the yard chosen."

"I checked the wiring diagram

"I checked the wiring diagram for the crusader 270 engine and found a high temp switch in the pictorial electrical schematic,however the diagram did not show if it just illuminated a warning light or if it interupted the engines ignition wiring?"

"if you looked at the engine d

"if you looked at the engine diagram, there should have been three switches in parallel - overheat, lo oil pressure and gear overheat.

On the "instrument panel" is where you can find the 'other' end of the overheat circuit. the switches provide multiple ground paths for a buzzer or horn. the horn is fed from the key switch, usually from the IGN terminal. (a light can be hooked up parallel to the horn.)

This circuit has no Control over the engine."

Back