Logo

Stern drive

jdouglas25

"I am very new to boating. Ste

"I am very new to boating. Stern drive goes down but not up. No sound in up. I am new owner of 1977 Stamas family fisherman, mercuiser, 233 hp engine. Boat is on trailer but I want to put into water this weekend. Transported it 700 miles last weekend. Trailer, hull, engine and electronics all good care by last owner. Can you point me to a previous comment or help me isolate problem. A diagram of electrical and hydraulics would be wonderful? Thanks"

"If the shifter has a toggle s

"If the shifter has a toggle switch for up/down and a trailer switch, does the trailer switch raise the OD? If it does then the problem is most likely the toggle switch or its wiring."

jeff i have a simalar problem

jeff i have a simalar problem with mine if im all the way down the toggle wont let it do anything but the trailor button will but if i just bump the trailor button then the trim switch starts working so as guy stated see what your trailor button does and if it will raise it stop and try the toggle trim switch and see

"Thanks for your reply, Guy. T

"Thanks for your reply, Guy. The buttons are on the console, not on the shifter. three buttons vertically setup. Top says UP, middle UP and below the word up is the word OUT, bottom is IN. Yesterday I started the engine first time. Ran good. Tried the buttons starting at top-nothing, middle-nothing then lowest button when pressed moved the out drive down, and when I pressed the bottom button I got a noise corosponding to the movement. The other buttons make no noise. After writing the question, I went out and the drive was all the way down which is not how I left it yesterday. I did find a pdf file of 30+ pages from session May 23,2009 11:14pm from BT Doctor The file BT recommends is http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A5R3. I just now started reading it. I am not a mechanic, best a computer technician, so I don’t think I can fix this if it isn’t simple. I have a Mercruiser Power Trim which is written on the top part of device outboard."

"Thanks steve. There is a togg

"Thanks steve. There is a toggle switch a few inches from the buttons I described above. But is for planing, I think; it says BOW DOWN, BOW UP kind of stuff and that switch works. No reference to trailer. When I activate the switch the fins on either side of the out drive move.My boat is maybe too old, 1977. But it is on a trailer."

"The lowest switch moves the o

"The lowest switch moves the o/d down, the middle button should move the o/d up until the trim limit switch comes in (max trim), to raise the o/d complete you have to push top button simultaneously with the middle button. Try to push top and middle buttons simultaneously, the o/d must come up as the top button overrules the trim limit switch.
When nothing happens the "up" solenoid (blue wire)on the trimpump is not working. When you only push the middle button and nothing happens like in your case the trim limit switch can be bad or the solenoid in case both buttons simul. does not work either. The limit switch is on the left wristpin (pivotpoint) on the o/d looking from behind and mostly is full with water when the middle button does nothing or wrong adjusted."

Thank you Frank; pressing the

Thank you Frank; pressing the top and middle button simultaneously brought the out drive up for trailoring. Hope you don’t mind being a hero today!

"Jeffery,
Got you e-mail aski

"Jeffery,
Got you e-mail asking about pods. I can give you this link for a forum at Sportfishing.B.C.
A lot of the salmon fising guide on the west coast have converted from I/O`s to outboards and there has been a lot of discussion about it. If you click on the search at the top righthand side and search under the keyword" pod" you should find lots of info including pictures of some of them, both aluminum and fibreglass.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2"

"Yes just in case you can'

"Yes just in case you can't get your outdrive up or down with your switch, there is a manual crank device on the trim pump motor. FYI.

The trim limit switches a common item to fail. The wires get brittle or the switch gets corroded. I am probably not the only one who by-passed my outdrive trim and only have tilt all the way up or all the way down. I don't mess with trimming the outdrive while underway because like you I have trim tabs. No problem. Get a schematic of the trim wiring and you could do the same pretty easily. Replacing the trim/tilt switches sounds like a big job because you have to fish the wires through the transom plate. Which means loosening everything and probably resealing everything. It's a lotta work to fix something I can live without. Kind of a dumb design by MCM if you ask me."

"Cleaning Trim Limit Switch &a

"Cleaning Trim Limit Switch & Trim Position Sender

For the trim/tilt problem you are experiencing, if the wires from the limit switch (port side) and trim position sender (starboard side) are in good condition, they (Switch or sender) can be disassembled to clean out the old hardened grease. SCRIBE the sides of each one and the OD for a reference mark before removal. Clean out the old grease and pump fresh Mercruiser 2-4-C grease thru the zerk fittings before reinstallation. Clean the small brass contact points with solvent and a pencil eraser until shiny; repack w/ 2-4-C grease and reinstall by aligning reference marks.

If the above doesn't work check the wiring to the switches under the dash. Another boater w/the same switches found a broken wire."

"Guy thanks. Scribing both is

"Guy thanks. Scribing both is what I was looking for, sometimes confirmation from one with experience is the best sound to our ears. Thanks to everyone. You all were most helpful and courteous to a real beginer."

"When it is back together the

"When it is back together the switch should be adjusted to shut off the trim pump when the distance between the trim cylinder mounting bolts is 22 & 1/4", +/- 1/4"."

Back