Logo

292 to a 312

siggie

"I have a 1961 Trojan Seabreez

"I have a 1961 Trojan Seabreeze with a 292 intercepter. I have come across a 312 and want to know if it will exchange easiely with my 292. This 312 came out of a ford truck so I know some things will have to come off of the 292, but what? How about the motormounts? Transmission?"

"Steve,
A change from 292 to

"Steve,
A change from 292 to 312 certainly can be done, but probably not easily.
Two ways to go, both are doable: Convert the 312 truck motor to marine, or convert the 292 marine to 312. Also your Truck motor is left hand rotation and your marine motor is probably right hand. You can look at your prop to tell the direction or give us the serial number on the front plate of the marine motor and we'll tell you.
Let us know the direction of your marine motor and if you want to use the truck block or the marine block, and we'll fill in the details.
Ray"

"As I'm looking at the fro

"As I'm looking at the frount of my 292, the rotation is clockwise. Isn't the 312 going to be clockwise also?"

"Steve,
Are you sure your 292

"Steve,
Are you sure your 292 Marine motor is clockwise looking at the front? If so then it is a left hand rotation engine. This is rare in single engine boats but still possible. You might double check by taking off the timing cover. If there is a chain between the crank and cam then it is left-hand rotation. If there are gears between the two then it is a right-hand engine.
Your 312 & all truck & car engines are left hand rotation, ie - turns clockwise looking at front.
Also there might be a serial number stamped on the timing cover. If you could get us that we could also tell the direction of rotation.
Ray"

ive located auto/truck 292 for

ive located auto/truck 292 ford v8 block both short/long at craigslist.org im also thinking about doing a convertion to marine cause mine is shot my question is are the auto/truck blocks the same as marine block i am refering to just the block IF SO what parts can i use from auto/truck long block if the blocks are the same

"Thank you Ray for looking int

"Thank you Ray for looking into this. Yes, I have the timimg cover off and there is a timing chain. If this is so will the convesion be easier and what will I need to transfer?"

"Steve Morgan,
The blocks are

"Steve Morgan,
The blocks are the same but there generally differences in direction of rotation. Marine motors are mostly right hand rotation as all automotive/truck are left hand.
I'm going to answer your question as to what to change with respect to your marine engine being right hand.
1) Move the water pump system, timing cover, oil pan and starter from the marine to the automotive block.
2) Heads the same on both, use the best set.
3) Move the intake & carburation system from the marine to the automotive.
4) The cam is different assuming different direction rotation engines. Use the marine cam and associated gears between the crank & cam from the marine engine.
5) Use the Marine distributor.
6) Use the Marine exhaust manifolds.
7) The pistons are oriented differently depending on the direction of engine rotation. Turn the pistons so the mark is at the back of the pistons for right hand rotation.
8) The rod & main bearings will have taken a set from left hand use therefore have the crank turned and new bearings installed.

Hope this helps,
Ray"

"Steve Siegfried,
If your goi

"Steve Siegfried,
If your going to use the 312 block and both engines the same (left hand) rotation, follow the directions for Steve Morgan except you would not have to change the cam, starter and piston orientation. You can decide if the bearing are good enough or you want to change them since you have the engine. down. You can also decide on which cam to use. In general trucks & boats used low RPM high Torque cams, so use the best one.

Steve S & Steve M,
I forgot, both of you would have to install brass freeze plugs.

Hope I haven't forgot anything else :)
Good Luck,
Ray"

"thanks ray ill be back i need

"thanks ray ill be back i need to find out witch motor i have 292 eng lettering on the fiberglaass engine cover BUT on the transmission housing area it says intercepter , model 215 , with serial # 35453 just been informed from another post that model 215 would be a 312 and not a 292 so i need to well check it out thank you"

"Ray, If I don't change ou

"Ray, If I don't change out the cam in the 312 truck engine, will it give me any problems in the future? Also, will I have any problem exchanging the trans? Or will it bolt up ok?"

"Steve S,
I would choose the

"Steve S,
I would choose the best cam by measuring the lob heights. The more the consistent the height the better the cam. If you put in new cam bearings you shouldn't have any cam problems.

As a side note, all of these motors that have flat tappets should use an oil that has Zinc added such as Shell Rotella T, see posting on flat tappet cams.

Use the marine bell house and your transmission will bolt up fine.

Ray"

Back