Logo

Mercury Mariner 50HP engine rebuild problems

arfon

"Hi all,

As regards to my e

"Hi all,

As regards to my engine rebuild (posted on the forum 29th June), it's not gone quite to plan!!Still low compression.

Due to the cost of new parts over here, The piston assembly and Con Rod was replaced with used parts.So the current state of play is as follows:
I have been offered a crankcase and block including all pistons, Con Rods, crank etc off an
older Mercury Mariner 50hp 2 stroke. So I'm thinking that I could make one good one out of two!! But I have doubts.
I know that the H.p. is the same, but what about the CC (cubic capasity)will the piston sizes, Con Rods be the same? Are they interchangable?

If not are the blocks the same? could I put my bits on an older block? He said that his engine has two carbs, mine has three.

Please help (again)

Best Regards Arfon"

"Hi all,

Just to remind eve

"Hi all,

Just to remind everybody, my engine is a 50HP 2 stroke, three cylinder serial no OP0731902. I believe the one I've been offered is also 50HP 2 stroke three cylinder, but it's older and only has two carbs.

Thanks again.
Arfon"

"HI Jeff,
Thanks for your spe

"HI Jeff,
Thanks for your speedy response. That's a shame!

The only option now, I suppose is to buy new! I've been quoted £267 for the con rod and £174 for thew piston in this country (UK).

Have I any other options?

Thanks
Arfon"

"Find a friend on this side of

"Find a friend on this side of the big lake and have them mail the parts to you.

In Canada where I am (and we get ripped off more than the guys in the US), OEM parts would go $400 Cdn for the pair (just a hair over 200 pounds). So find a buddy in the States
"

"Hi Graham,
That's for th

"Hi Graham,
That's for the advice.To be honest, My boat is looking quite sad in the boat compound and My window of opportunity is getting smaller and smaller (from July to end of August)I think I'm going to have to dig deep into my pockets.

Thanks again Graham much appriciated."

I have a great powerhead that

I have a great powerhead that I will part with if you are interested. It is a 4cyl. 2 stroke. 50 hp longshaft.

"Arfon,I live in the Republic

"Arfon,I live in the Republic of Ireland, so you only think you're been ripped off.21 1/2 vat,tax to you folks on the west of the Atlantic. I rebuilt my beautiful merc800
lol.gif
earlier this year and bought all I needed in the U.S. online.Quick delivery an even with customs getting me
sad.gif
, a whole lot cheaper."

"Hi Guys,

Same old story wi

"Hi Guys,

Same old story with me, I left work early yesterday and called in to my local boat shop and reluctantly placed the order for my bits. Thanks for the advice Noel,who knows maybe I'll try ordering across the big lake next time. Hopefully not too soon.
P.S. Josh with a bit of luck I should be ok. Thanks anyway.
P.P.S. Hi Graham, my last posting should have read thanks not that's for the advice!

Regards

Arfon"

Back