Logo

Need to add a inline fuel filter

briang0

Regular Contributor
I just bought a fuel flow mete

I just bought a fuel flow meter and Lowrance says I should add a fuel filter before the sender and the sender should be close to the tank. Do I have to spend 3x more for a filter that says marine on it or will an auto inline filter with 3/8 connections work ok? Thanks in advance.

Brian

"If you go that way, get one w

"If you go that way, get one with a 1-piece steel case, with built-in hose barbs on it. Don't forget high quality hose clamps, too. You're really better off with a marine grade filter as it will withstand the environmment much better.

You may want to consider moving any existing filter closer to the tank. You may want to see if any EP-10 users chime in on what 'close to the tank' means. (I've got flo-scans so can't comment on the EP-10s.) Also, you may want to consider the total restriction offered by the new configuration if you run much at high RPM; a long line run and a few filters can impede a thirsty fuel consumer."

"I use NAPA metal can filters

"I use NAPA metal can filters on mine, but I also use A-1 marine grade hoses to install them--important!

Your flowmeter does not need to have a filter before it--mine doesn't and has been that way for years. Also, as Mark pointed out, you want to avoid placing fine filtration BEFORE a fuel pump. All it takes is a tank of dirty, crappy fuel and the filter can plug, starving your motor and frying a piston.

I know I'm a harp on this, but fine filters should only be placed AFTER the fuel pump. Use only coarse strainers and water separators before it.

Jeff"

"Jeff,

Perhaps this has bee

"Jeff,

Perhaps this has been explained before, but why would it make any difference whether the filtration (fine or otherwise) was before or after the pump? Once clogged with crud wouldn't the fuel flow decrease and possibly starve the engine?

Thanks,
Erich"

"Jeff,
Where are your Napa ca

"Jeff,
Where are your Napa canister filters? Before or after the fuel pump? I run canisters and just changed mine to the Napa marine canisters and plan to put a inline just before the carburator as before."

"After, always after the fuel

"After, always after the fuel pump! The list of wrecked engines due to fuel starvation is a long one. And with "evil-nol" gas, that stirs up all kinds of crud that was happy to sit at the bottom of tanks, it's even more critical. Sure, lots of people get away with putting fine filter before a fuel pump, but it's Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the old revolver.

Strainers: Coarse filtration (bowling balls) 25 to 30 microns

Filters (fine grit) 10 microns.

Jeff"

Back