Logo

Evin junior went for a swim

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"ok, sooo i dropped my engine

"ok, sooo i dropped my engine off my dock today like a spazz. Jumped in and got it. immeditely pulled the plug and dumped LOTS of 2-stroke oil into the cylinder until came out th exhaust. also hosed the engine down for a lonngggg time. Engine spins freely, water seems to be out. Drained the carb, drained the fuel tank, added fresh fuel. Have electricity going to spark plug (plug spark looks weak...going to buya new plug in the AM).
After lots of starting fluid and 1000000 pulls, the engine just back fires every once and a while. Any ideas on what is wrong? It ram GREAT before the swim

thanks!"

"they dont do well,after subme

"they dont do well,after submersion,...u did the right thing,..however,u need to flush,out the carb,fuel lines etc,...ign system needs to be dried out,...what hp,and what yr,..model number?"

"first, ditch the starting flu

"first, ditch the starting fluid. You're rinsing the oil off everything in the crankcase with it. Use pre-mixed fuel in a squirt bottle. I suspect you still have water somewhere. Drain the carb bowl(s) to remove any water. Prime up with fresh fuel mix. Put the engine in several different positions while rotating the crankshaft. This will help slosh the water out of the crankcase and pass it through. The spark plug will get wet. Keep blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure electrical connections are clean and dry. This includes the breaker points if old enough.

Double the oil for the first tank of gas or so. Once you get it started, let it run for 10 minutes or so at fast idle. Then take it for a good long run to make sure all the water has been expelled.

The sooner you can get it going the better. OMC spec'd that the engine must be started within 3 hours of being recovered. If it sits more than a day or two, you may run into internal corrosion issues."

"---I hear ya !!---ur post,is

"---I hear ya !!---ur post,is excellent,...I,am tooo lazy to type all that,at the moment,as it is white zin time,after 106 degrees all day!!!"

got a new plug and wire. Still

got a new plug and wire. Still nothiing. Its a early 80's evinrude junior 1.2hp. Tiny little engine for out zodiac. Not sure what could be wrong. I can see spark at the plug. I have been using a squirt bottle spraying mixed new gas into the cylinder. Not sure...what else can I try!!? I am heading to the islands tonight!!!

What kind of spark. It needs t

What kind of spark. It needs to be a hot spark - one you think "wow". A tiny spark can be evident but really enough to start it. If it were mine - I would update the ignition system on it. Might be a good time.

"how would I update the igniti

"how would I update the ignition system? its 1.2HP. Its the same amount fo spark as it was before (i think). Its a little plug, Champion j6c. Lots of electricty as I stuck a screwdriver in the cap and pulled the engine over, a nice jolt.

Any other ideas! Any idea on just how to get it to run?"

On that small of an engine - I

On that small of an engine - I sometimes use a socket and drill and spin the engine. What I like about this method is that I dont have to pull the rope and it gives me a better idea as to how the idle mixture is set. Is this a possibility? Do you have a flywheel nut that is exposed if the rope start mech is removed? Do not do it on larger motors. They can back kick and break your wrist.
Just do a smooth slow start rotation with the drill with both hands to see how it goes. if you have good fuel and Ignition - you should know right away as the motor with start or want to start. Doesnt take much to start a good motor.

No nut available? Rats.. Sure

No nut available? Rats.. Sure would make things a lot easier if you could get that motor spinning with a little external help.

Back