Logo

Help needed motor year identification

barra_dan

"Hey all,

I am new here, an

"Hey all,

I am new here, and hoping to gather some information regarding my boat motor.

I currently have an evinrude 2 stroke v4 (with vro option) im guessing it from some info that its around an 88 model, now im not overly experienced with boat motors, and I want to learn more so trying to establis the year, It has no identification plate as i researched and I had trouble finding other numbers besides part numbers. the motor is sky blue in colour which i think puts it in that era and also has the lid from that era with the three lock down clips two at rear and 1 at front.

any help would be great

kind regards

dan

Ps: if pictures or part numbers are required let me know"

"VRO puts it post 1984. The cr

"VRO puts it post 1984. The cross flow v4 was used until 1995. The looper V4 until 2001 as a Johnson, 1998 as an Evinrude.

Pix would help. In addition to the motor cover, catch a pic of the throttle linkage on the right side. They changed that in 86 or 87."

"Thankyou for your help.

I

"Thankyou for your help.

I will take pictures and upload them in the next few days, very eager to find out this info, makes life alot easier for getting parts and getting info on the motor.

cheers

dan"

Get S/N off transom bracket st

Get S/N off transom bracket starboard side (label). You might need to trim motor up. Then Google Evinrude Serial numbers.

"attached photos as planned, c

"attached photos as planned, checked transom plate and no luck?

cheers fellas
288918.jpg
288919.jpg
288920.jpg
288921.jpg
288922.jpg
288923.jpg
288924.jpg
288925.jpg
288926.jpg
"

"my best guess is around 1985,

"my best guess is around 1985,maybe a bit older ,primer body is down in the cowl near the link/syc throttle.looks worked over."

"The cover and leg/gearcase is

"The cover and leg/gearcase is from the late 80's, but it appears the powerhead is older. My 1985 has the engine block painted blue instead of silver. Also, there isn't a VRO or provisions on the motor. That puts the powerhead 1983 or earlier. Also, the ignition components appear to be a late 70's or early 80's vintage. The presence of a primer instead of a choke probably put's it 1980-1983."

"just looks like its been arou

"just looks like its been around ,mismatched ign wires,bulging cooling hoses/odd parts here and there.just keep up with it i am sure it runs well"

look at the second pic you pos

look at the second pic you posted.

locat those 2 brown wire plugs next to the black fuse holder.

now look to your right....... get the #s from the welsh plug (about the size of a quarter)

this should have your model # which in turn will give the year.

everything on or enf is same as my '79 johnson 115 ............... except the vro........ if i had to guess i would also say 82-85.

that little choke solenoid is $125 + you will need all the little attachments to make it work....... i noticed it was gone. mine was too for a while. i can tell you how to rig it up so you dont ahve to remove the cowl to choke it manually if you like.

p.s. post the #s from the welsh plug and we can tell you exactly what year... although most parts from close years will work.... only minor changes if any

"what does the choke solenoid

"what does the choke solenoid do?
I have a omc controller up front which has cold start (flick up the switch) is this what your referring to?

sorry guys im not very educated on boats, but im interested to learn.

thanks for all the replies"

Back