Logo

Exhaust Leak

mschwenz

Contributing Member
"hey guys i have a 3.0 and Hav

"hey guys i have a 3.0 and Have been experiencing a slight "ticking/hissing" sound, not constant but repetitive for a while but it has always been very faint. Does not affect performance or caused any problems yet. Today the sound was magnified a bit. I do not know what it is exactly but i have a rust stain coming down from where the elbow meets the exhaust manifold but i dont know if this is just normal or because i have a leak. Earlier in the year i had pulled the manifold and elbow to check for other problems but reinstalled everything by the book. Could there be anything else that would a produce a hissing sound."

Soapy water in a spray bottle

Soapy water in a spray bottle or brush it on; bubbles are the leak. 3rd time this week!

I was about to spray around th

I was about to spray around the area where there was some rust stains and i noticed air puttering out the underside of the surface where the exhaust manifold meets the block. So im thinking deffinate leak in that gasket there????

I used a permatex spray sealen

I used a permatex spray sealent before is there any other/better product to put onto the surfaces...

"Ok really just getttin to it

"Ok really just getttin to it today, pulled off the manifold gaskets good, but looks like head gasket blew in a spot...see picture. Once again thanks alot guys for any of your help
288651.jpg

Is this maybe something i could temporarily fix for a season or something urgent... I have had no engine performance problems or anything besides he sputtering....??"

Perform both dry/wet compressi

Perform both dry/wet compression tests before replacing the gasket; may need a little more than a gasket while the head is off. Check the mating surfaces of the head and manifold w/a straight edge for trueness.

can i perform a test without t

can i perform a test without the manifold on? is there possibility i wont need to replace the gasket?

Engine may injest some dirt.

Engine may injest some dirt. You could loosen all the plugs and blow the dirt away then stuff a clean rag in the intake of the cylinders not being tested. Then remove one spark plug at a time to check compression dry. Check it again w/a shot of engine oil. Reinstall the plug loosely in the cylinder just tested and a rag in the intake. Repeat.

Thanks guy after i got the man

Thanks guy after i got the manifold off i tried a crank or two and it is deffinantly blowing out of that hole heavily. Im taking the head off tommorow soon as i get the new gaskets

"If you pull the head, at leas

"If you pull the head, at least check the valve seats' condition before you put it on. any thin liquid - brake cleaner, for instance, should sit in the combustion chamber w/o leaking thru the seat area. If they leak, a valve job while apart will be much easier than doing later, even if its only a lapping.

Also, make sure the head and the deck are true (flat). if not, you may get a recurrence."

Back