Logo

Pertronix Electrinic ignition install Can%60t find resistor

1982capri

"1982 AQ125/275 I`m installing

"1982 AQ125/275 I`m installing a Pertronix electronic ignition and 3 Ohm coil. Using Pertronix instructions, to check if I had a resistor, I had 9.5 volts with the old Bosch coil. This indicates I have a resistor, the wiring diagram also shows a resistor. I have looked everywhere and can`t find the dadgum thing. I did the same test with the new Flame Thrower coil and had 11.2 volts. Can anyone tell me where the resistor is located? Or, how do I tell if I have a resistor wire?"

"Lanny,

By the sounds of th

"Lanny,

By the sounds of things your previous (bosch) coil had a 3ohm internal resistor which means no exterior resistor needed. Your new flamethrower coil by your numbers has no internal resistance meaning you now have to purchase a external 3ohm ballast resistor. My flamethrower part#40611 has 3ohm internal resistance so an exterior resistor is not needed. good luck"

"J.C.H Thanks for the reply. I

"J.C.H Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct about the Bosch coil internal resistor. I checked the Bosch coil and it read 3.6 ohms. I also bought the Flamethrower coil # 40611 when I bought the Ignitor. After I posted, I called Car Shop and explaned my delemma. He said to hook it up with the new coil and give it a try. He felt it would work fine with 11.2 volts. So, I guess that`s what I will do."

"You should be fine, most engi

"You should be fine, most engines like yours either did not come with a ballast resistor, or it was removed and the old coil replaced by another one with internal resistor. In any case, please post the results "before" and "after" Pertronix if you don't mind."

"Hooked everything up started

"Hooked everything up started the engine and did the timing. Starts right up, idles very nicely and accelerates fine. Only thing is this was all done in my driveway with a water hose hooked up. It will be a couple of weeks until I get it on the water."

"Lanny, <[img]"http://www.mari

"Lanny,
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back