Logo

23L Model # Question

jbutman

"I've been working on the

"I've been working on the upper gear housing on the lower unit of my Cobra outdrive (1989, 2.3L motor). Some have probably seen my other posts with questions... Anyways, I have two (probably dumb) questions. First, when I go to the shop.evinrude.com site and find my stern drive unit and select the 2.3L, there are four model # choices, and I don't find any of those on the outdrive or motor. They have BMR or BPR to start, and end with MED or MEF. How do I figure out which I have?

Second, Part #0911937 (Gear to U-joint nut) needs to come off so I can replace the stub & water pump shaft. How do I get that nut off? Is there a special tool, or just use a big adjustable wrench? I would hate to have to replace that too by wrecking it."

"you can try useing channelloc

"you can try useing channellock plyers, but probably you will eng up having to use either a brass punch or a chisel, to turn it off. an air hammer works well but can cause more damage to the nut."

"The 'problem' with OM

"The 'problem' with OMC was that they never put on the mod number on the engines and drives (cobra), but they were delivered as loose stickers intended to be put on the engine valve cover at installation. Unfortunately that rarely happened, and in a lot of cases drives were swapped by dealers making it all a mess. In other cases the stickers came from builders together with manuals in a plastic bag/folder, but even those were frequently swapped."

Back