Logo

OMC 23l ford bs

sleddog_68

"I have an 87 omc 2.3l ford an

"I have an 87 omc 2.3l ford and have searched all over this forum and I'm not sure I have all the answers I need. So here goes..

Is there any way to test the alternator on this boat? I am not sure it is charging? Also on the bottom of this alt. there are two posts, from what I have read I believe one is a resistor wire coming from the dist.? What should the voltage be one that with the key on eng. not running? what should the voltage be on the other post? Is this a built in voltage regulator?

I know there has been some talk about this but I am still unclear sorry. What it the voltage suppose to be at the pos side of the coil key on eng off? does this change during cranking/ running? if so what should those voltages be?

Also it looks like this coil has been replaced but there are no markings on it, is is suppose to be a 12 volt coil? Thanks for any help on this I'm obviously new to boating up keep!"

"when it running, disconnect t

"when it running, disconnect the neg bat cable, if it stays running alt is good. im sure there is a better way, but thats how tested mine"

it's not a good idea to re

it's not a good idea to remove the battery from the charging circuit when the engine is running. On some systems it can ruin the alternator.

To properly check if the alternator is doing it's thing:

1. Visual inspection of connections and belt tension
2. Check voltage across battery terminals with engine running at fast idle (1000 rpm or so) - must be over 13V and under 15V

"Thanks Hy Stat that sounds a

"Thanks Hy Stat that sounds a bit more accruate. If that checks out okay, what should the voltage be on either side of the voltage regulator on the back of that alt.? One wire is red the other purple/red, I believe the latter goes to the dist. Thanks again for the help."

"I don't have the 2.3 ford

"I don't have the 2.3 ford schematic, but I suspect that's the excitation circuit in which case, same voltage there. 13-15.
Same as Batt + with key on."

That makes sense! I'll fin

That makes sense! I'll find a schematic and see if I can't confirm that but that helps out a bunch! Thanks again Hy Stat! I'll let you know what I find hopefully can get something rolling this weekend but I might have a dead alt.!

Back