Logo

AQ130 B20 Hands down thee worst engine ever engine from hell

samscrappyboat

"Considering parting boat out

"Considering parting boat out if any one needs part. I bought the boat from a friend, nice shape about 150$ not too bad with trailer. 1st trial and still the same problem to this day, it started up idled fine but has no power what so ever, i mean i am literally doing ten Mph tops! something is wrong, also engine takes in water, So i took the time to replace just about everything, thought there might be a crack in the block, so bought a B18 block from some old 50's or 60's volvo, had it checked,but forget to have the head checked, had engine bored as close to as the B20 ,everything has been replaced , solex carbs are rebuilt , had them proffessionally tuned, Dad is a mechanic for years and he has timed it. He also said that he thinks the engine isn't advancing. the one thing that i believe could be the problem is the cam, used the same one from the original engine , but there is a possibilty it could have been replaced incorrectly, or the distributor is f'd up, but i had that checked and they said it was , fine, it is the bosch distributor, , So can some one please tell me what the hell is wrong. Problems Water in oil, and no speed fine from 1000 to 2500 to 3000rpms but bogs out hard from 3000 to 5000,also starter gets to moist and has to be manually started with a screwdriver sometimes but no biggie. Boat from hell , someone please help me , not sure what cam is in there now but will check , also should i be using the petronix kit or the 123ingnition on this , do you think that will sove the dogging out problem"

"Hi Sam.

If the distributor

"Hi Sam.

If the distributor is not advancing, then it is not fine. But if it has been checked and it advances, then you have to look for the problem elsewhere. In any case, check the spark advance with a timing light. For the AQ130D it should be 8ºBTDC at 900 RPM and 25º-27º at 3000 RPM; and for the AQ130A, B or C it should be 12ºBTDC at 900 RPM and 27º-29ºBTDC at 2000 RPM. If there is no spark advance, dismantle the distributor and check the condition of centrifugal weights and springs.

Check that the carbs are synchronized and that both are opening when you move the throttle lever.

Check the accelerator pumps in the carbs, they may be sticking and that would prevent the engine from accelerating.

Check that the fuel filter is clean and the fine fuel strainers inside the fuel pump and carbs are not clogged.

Check that the anti-syphon valve is not stuck in the fuel tank.

Make sure the compression is OK in all cylinders.

Check that the ignition wires go to the correct spark plugs. The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

Water in the oil may come from the water pump seals leaking, or from a cracked block/head, or from a corroded head/leaky head gasket.

With regards to electronic ignition kits, Pertronix seems to be more reliable than Hot Spark according to what has been posted by users of both systems. No idea if installing a Pertronix kit will solve the bogging problem.

Good luck"

"I had similar problems with m

"I had similar problems with my aq130d---would bog when i tried to throttle it up and it would not get on plane.

It wound up being the carbs. Cost me $500 to have them both professionally rebuilt, but now it really runs good. Gets on plane in seconds and goes 30+ mph.

I should add that I tried rebuilding the carbs my self once and it didnt help much. Turned out the rebuild kit i used was very basic."

Back