Logo

Dead 318

ian1982

This is a continuation of a po

This is a continuation of a post from last week Fred and Jeff you guys may be able to help more with pics and more info. I have a capital city rebuilt motor that I have no identification on other than their name plate so have no been able to look up reliable information on it. Last week I went to replace the cap and rotor. I labeled the wires from the cylinders and didn't even think to mark the cap. Now here is the problem I have no idea what post on the new cap is #1. I have herd several people mention using the 10 o'clock position but in reference to what? I have tried standing at the stern looking froward port side looking at the coil and a few other combination's I know the firing order and i know
the cylinder numbering i just can't find the right post. Can anyone help? Where should i be standing to be looking for the 1 post. Also standing at the stern looking froward at the flywheel it is spinning in a counter clockwise rotation. The rotor spins clockwise. Im throwing in some pictures to assist my crude illustration

Front
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

X
X X
X X rotor stops here when at tdc Coil
X X
X

"Looking forward at the damper

"Looking forward at the damper pulley, the # 1 cylinder position on the cap is approx 10:00 o'clock.

Jeff"

"I have tried that position no

"I have tried that position now a few times. With both the standard and revers plug orders. s there any chance that the distributor could have jumped a tooth on a backfire? Looking at the flywheel there is a plate with a cut out on it and this is what i have been using as my tdc marker is this correct. When this plate lines up the #1 cyl is about a 1/4in into the next cycle, this whole thing is really weird because the boat was running mint before i started this process. and ideas?"

"The distributor does NOT have

"The distributor does NOT have a gear at the bottom, like most; it has a tang that goes one of two ways. The only way it could be out a a tooth would be if you pulled ht eoil pump shaft up and out of mesh.

Jeff"

"May I point out that the one

"May I point out that the one thing that you have going for you Ian, is that you not loosened the the distributor hold down clamp, & moved the distributor.
The engine ran before you started to change things & should by all rights run again, (as soon as you get the spark plug as they were when you started).

Another + is, there are only 8 possible combinations to try.

You may have your new spark plugs fouled (from too much no start cranking) & need to try some fresh / dry plugs.

ok, pull the (real) # 1 spark plug,
stick your finger in the spark plug hole,
have someone crank the engine (or use a remote starter switch) over till the air pressure pushes your finger away from the hole.

At the point that the air stops forcing your finger out of the hole is TDC. So when you feel the air pressure,,, stop cranking the starter, & finish bringing the timing marks together by hand, (or however you did it before).

Plug the wire, that goes to # 1 cylinder, into the cap where the rotor is pointing towards, and continue inserting wires into the cap in the direction that the rotor was spinning while you were cranking the engine. 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

Fred 156-M

http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=12490&post=225316#POST22 5316"

Fred and Jeff thanks a bunch f

Fred and Jeff thanks a bunch for your guys help. Got the firing order and plug alignment figured out. #1 terminal is actually at 4 o'clock. Boat ran awesome for 2 days. Just went to fire her up this morning to haul some lobster gear n the starter went. Love project boats lol. You guys have any leads on decent priced boat starters?

"Four o'clock?" Yo

"Four o'clock?" Your distributor is out 180 degrees. That's okay UNLESS somebody else has to work on it.

Jeff

"Hi Guys, Stupid Question time

"Hi Guys, Stupid Question time, is the 10 oclock thing the same for the 440? I have just changed my leads and cant get the little darling started, It fires but the starter kicks out before it will run.
Questions
1 If I am standing at the front of the engine (damper end) looking back with number one cylinder front right would I be right in assuming number one will be at 4 oclock
2 If my exhaust outlets are below water level
would it flood my rear 2 cylinders with sea water if cranked over too much without firing up
it is a fresh watercooled engine which is holding water in the fresh side no problem
3 If I cant get this thing fixed Where is the most efficient place to drill holes in the hull and what diameter holes would you suggest
wink.gif
"

Back