Logo

89 volvo 4cylruns good with blower onbackfiringcheck out earlier postpertronix did not fix

"check out earlier post,was no

"check out earlier post,was not ignition problem causing backfiring and stalling,installed new pertronix kit and got rid of points and still had the problem,come to find out i had power at the B- on the alternator ground wire .9 volts not running and 6 volts running,caused severe battery drain and drain on system,too low of voltage for points(burns them up).i unhooked ground and engine purs like a kitten,i new right away what was going on,alternator corrosion or short,will post the solution"

"Well that is a new one. As go

"Well that is a new one. As goofy a problem as the cure. Was that voltage coming from the regulator, or back out of the alternator?"

"voltage coming out of the pos

"voltage coming out of the post B- which is for the ground wire on the alternator,should be grounded not charged.this was something you would not expect,caused backfiring at mid rpm and burning out of points(2 sets).everyone said change to pertronix ha ha, and that did not cure it,just masked the problem at hand."

"it was the alternator all alo

"it was the alternator all along boat runs great now,has less power with pertronix ignition,boat takes a while to plane out and i cant get it to hit 5500rpm.i checked the timing but there is now mark on balancer just a square sticker with rounded edges and its were the mark should be when timing light is flashing on it.should the timing be advanced with the new ignition? i had more power with the points and im almost ready to put them back in."

"Ryan, have you ever heard the

"Ryan, have you ever heard the saying "hindsight is 20/20"? Perhaps you should look into what it means before making comments like the ones you have made in your last two posts.

Firstly, you should keep in mind that people posting advice here (like me) do not get paid for it: we are just trying to help other boaters like you to keep your boat running without having to take a second mortgage in your house. One thing we don't have is a foolproof crystal ball, and we offer an opinion based on the information the posters give us. Are we always right? Clearly not, and you are not under any obligation of following any of the advice posted here.

Now you have two choices: either take your boat to a mechanic and pay for his services, or keep reading and following the advice posted here. If you decide to go for the latter, I want to assure you I don't want to hear any more whining if our suggestions don't work!!!! Remember the title of your previous post? It started with "Please help !! ...", so it would be appreciated if at least you would show some gratitude....even when things don't go exactly as expected.

Back to your problem, I find it interesting that you are blaming your new Pertronix kit for lack of power before even verifying that the timing is where it should be. Not sure about your particular engine model, but you should have a notch in the crankshaft pulley (part 19)

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CRANKSHAFT_AND_RELATED_PARTS_230A_230B/dm/cart_id .718343732--session_id.618095620--store_id.366--view_id.320835

and probably a number of marks on the timing belt cover (part 21)

http://www.volvopentastore.com/BELT_TRANSMISSION_230A_SP_A_MT/dm/cart_id.7183437 32--session_id.618095620--store_id.366--view_id.320965

As per the instructions manual, you will have to set the idle timing at 6ºBTDC with a strobe light. That should not be rocket science. But if it for some reason you only have two marks (one in the crankshaft pulley and one in the timing belt cover) indicating #1 piston TDC, then you can use a special timing light with advance, set the advance at 6ºBTDC on the light, and you will have the timing set correctly when the marks in the pulley and cover do line up.

Finally, I do not believe for one moment that you will get less power with a Pertronix ignition kit than with points, as it defies all logic. From my perspective, I suspect your problem may be better explained with the "operator's error" term. However, the boat is yours and as far as I am concerned you can install back your points any time you please."

"El, don't get to p*ss

"El, don't get to p*ssed off as I am sure I speak for all the people you have helped in the past and found yours and the other senior members help invaluable. Without this advive a lot of us would be in a lot of trouble and a lot poorer, paying for mechanics. - Thanks again

Nick Porter"

Back