Logo

Raw water pump

beats_working

I have a Johnson F6B-9 raw wat

I have a Johnson F6B-9 raw water pump on a Volvo mounted on the front onto the crank. Do anyone know how it is attached to the crank it is hard to see and i may have to change it. Does it come off easily. Thanks

"Yes, it should unbolt fairly

"Yes, it should unbolt fairly easily.
There will be three bolts that thread into the harmonic balancer.
Loosen the hoses and torque bracket so you can rotate the pump body in order to have access to all three bolts (you will only have access to one at a time).

I'll also suggest that ebasicpower.com has offered some of these complete pumps for as little as $140.
It is hardly worth over-hauling one when a new pump is this inexpensive.
The thrust surfaces are equally as important as any new bearing and/or seal are, IMO.
All of the over-hauling is worthless if the impeller rear thrust surface is bad!
With a new pump, ya get all new!
Just thought that would be worth mentioning to you.

Most important to know that when going back on, that the pump mounting flange must be indexed to the front pulley.
The pulley will have two raised areas that serve as "dowels" to align the pump and index it.
The bolts give you three options, but the flange gives only ONE!

"

"Not that you asked..... but

"Not that you asked..... but here is an FYI in the event you are reusing this pump.

I just realized that the Johnson F6B-9 is the larger of the two Johnson crankshaft pumps. Commonly used on the BB engines.
The SB engines only requrie the smaller pump.

The Johnson F6B-9 impeller is 1.900" deep.
The replacement impeller for the Jabsco pump looks identical, but is 1.990" deep.
That's .090" deeper!
Since they look so similar, sometimes these two impellers are inadvertently purchased and used in the wrong pump body.
Problem comes when the Johnson is used in the Jabsco.

."

I just removed my F6B-9 pump f

I just removed my F6B-9 pump from my SB 350. I noticed that the impeller extends out a bit from the housing just as you mentioned "about 90mm" to
long for the housing. The end plate closes up ok with the 3 cover screws but it didn't seem right to extend out that far. Also I was told that the cover plate if scored heavily with wear from the rotating impeller can be flipped over and used. Yes/no? Since acquiring the boat I have not operated the motor yet. It had prior overheat problems probably due to bad impeller. The one I found described above is new. Perhaps it is time to visit ebasicpower.com.

Back