Logo

b76 140hp intermed housing fluid

reid

I bought a boat on the cheap f

I bought a boat on the cheap from a relative that I don't believe did much maintenance on it. I was changing the upper-lower and intermediate fluids and came across a problem I think. Intermediate fluid was black and near solid. Pulled the reservoir cover and wiped out the gunk. Metal peices and shavings. Who knows how long it's been since fluids were changed. Hard to see but it appears to have an irregular shaped hole in the bottom of the reservoir and can maybe see the top of a bearing. That might explain a high speed growl I hear at higher speed. Looking for a top view picture of the reservior and could a bearing come apart and make the odd shaped hole? Any help would be appreciated

can't remember if I have e

can't remember if I have ever looked in that top rectangular cover to say what is normal. It's not actually the reservoir cover per se. OMC never talked about it in the manuals. The normal way to service the intermediate is to pull the ball gear shaft out the rear of the housing.
If there are shavings you need new bearings.
And the only way to set the preload of the bearings is to pull the engine so you can roll the shaft in the bearings. They're tapered roller bearings with shims under the seal cover.

"Thanks Hy, not the answer I w

"Thanks Hy, not the answer I wanted to hear but nothing like kicking a guy when he's down or a boat when it's broke. Going to get ahold of the uncle that bought the boat new and had the pros service it to find out if this could be an old problem. Thanks again"

Back