Logo

Chrysler 440 runs bad between idle and 1000 rpm

prestonstark

"boat has run perfect, then on

"boat has run perfect, then one AM hard to start- idles rough, real bad hesitation between idle and 1000 rpm- above that- perfect. Recently changed plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor..... problem started awhile after this maintenance. -Even put in another set of plugs. However, total of 300 hrs- carb has never been touched. Only problem is below 1000 rpm?????"

"You have a transition circuit

"You have a transition circuit problem in your carb, probably caused by some dirt getting in a passageway.

Two options: Try the Hornets/ Rag trick, or go for a carb rebuild.

Had a Pontiac Phoenix once that had a nest of hornets living in the charcoal cannister. The little ~*@$~ would get sucked into the carb and pull up the jets. After cleaning the thing out a few times, and getting stuck at the Mall, desperation stepped in: I used a rag to suck their little bodies out. Worked slick.

To wit: Rev the crap out of the motor then stuff a rag in the carb throat, nearly choking it to death. Pull the rag out before it dies completely, then repeat a few times.

It has worked for me several times, and on my boat after I had a minor carb fire that I put out with a dry chemical fire extinguisher. The powered crapola got into the carb and made it run awful--similar to yours, but worse.

Jeff"

Back