Logo

1998 Evinrude 175 OP Fuel Vapor Seperator or vapor pump prob

paulieb

"Hi, I will try to cut this p

"Hi, I will try to cut this post short,

Model # E175EXECD

When priming the bulb fuel is comming out of the top vent line that incerts into the baffle. the primer bulb never get hard. The vent line is attached to the top of the vapor pump , that is attached to the vapor seperator chamber.

My first guess is that the needle and seat are worn in the chamber. I am assuming that when fuel is primed in the chamber the float closes the chamber and forces the fuel out to the carbs? If the float does not close will this push the fuel out the vapor pump? I do not think solid fuel shoud be getting into this pump and if it has do you thing it is damaged?

Any help here.... thanks so much..."

"Sounds like you are on the ri

"Sounds like you are on the right track with the float/needle and seat. I doubt the vapor pump was damaged. If you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to loosen the screws and dump the gas out."

"I hope so, I dont know what

"I hope so, I dont know what else would cause the fuel to come out there, Sorry for the horrible spelling in the original post, was rushing. I have ordered a new seat and needle, plus gaskets, hoses ect.

I did not order new vapor pump, just the pump diaphram in case it is worn.

Why would they design a system that would allow fuel be dumped into the baffle if it failed, I see this as a serious fire hazard... not sure why but seemed this issue was only with the ficht engines not the carb models. I do find it amazing how a 11$ part can keep you out of the water for a week."

"The all in one nature of the

"The all in one nature of the VRO pump is the reason the VST needs to be on the suction side of the pump. This makes the vapor pump and vacuum switch necessary. As for the fuel spill hazard, I believe that would be common to any VST configuration. As for the vent/discharge, I guess it would be better to dump it in the air box than anywhere else. There really isn't a good place to dump raw fuel.

I'm not a real big fan of VST's. The motors ran fine for decades without them. As you found out, the extra complexity is just more things to fail.

Let us know when you get it working!"

"I think I know what happend,

"I think I know what happend, let this be a lesson to all who have this system and like to squeez the hell out of the fuel primer bulb, (like me)

The the vapor seperator tank float is held inplace on one side only by a small phillips head screw, if you squeez the primer bulb too hard it actaully forces the fuel float further up into the chamber, eventually the one side will pop out and the float will not move to shut the neddle against the seat. A simple reset of the neddle and float, and vrooooom it is running again. and no liquid fuel should ever come out of the vent line, even small spray may indicate that the float and needle may be falling out of alignment."

"I have a 1985 185 hp Johnson.

"I have a 1985 185 hp Johnson. I recently disconnected the oil from my VRO pump and am now mixing my gas. I've gone through 80 gallons of fuel without an incident. This past trip the motor started and ran at slow speed and bogged down when i tried to get up on plane. It did that a few times, never stalling but not getting up to high speed. I checked the ball and it pumps up tight and then looses come of the tightness after the motor is running ( Seems normal t0 me) The ball never collapses. Finally it got up on plane and ran till i got to my destination. After a bit i went to move again and had the same problem. I loosened my gas cap in case it was a clogged vent but it still did it a couple times. The last time i went to take off it started to bog and i pushed the key in for the choke and it worked, nothing dramatic but it sped up. Also now, even when it gets up and goes it will only do about 4200 rpms where as it would do about 5000 before. I do not see and fuel leaks. Carbuerators were just rebuilt, New filter inside the motor and replaced the 10micron water fuel filter. Any thoughts. I really do not think the VRO has anything to do with it but can't think of anything else. It . .ht"

Back