Logo

87 mariner 150 magnum

bigdog86

i have a qustion i need to no

i have a qustion i need to no if i should rebeld this motor becaz i gota rebild the carbs anyway this motor is old and i dont no what i should do could a motor this old still be good its low on power so the carbs gota get done anyway

"An 87 150 Magnum was a pretty

"An 87 150 Magnum was a pretty decent motor and a good candidate for a rebuild (in most cases).

You have consider all your options...

You can buy a new 150 for 12-15 thousand bucks and it will have a life expectancy of say 8-12 years average before it needs a rebuild (but it could last 20 or more years without issue).

You can buy another used motor from "some guy" that is selling a motor that is "so perfect" that he wants to get rid of it, and inherit whatever is wrong with it.

You can rebuild this one. If you get a shop to do it, powerhead rebuild and carbs will run you upwards of about 3500 bucks at the top end (depending on exactly what needs to be done/replaced), or if you have the ability, you can rebuild yourself (using the services of a shop for things like boring etc).

The "self-help" rebuild could be done on this motor for maybe 1500 bucks.

In any event the rebuild may last you 8-12 years on average (or like a new motor, which it practically would be, you could see 20 years of trouble free service)..

The choice is yours..."

anda nother qustion if i jus a

anda nother qustion if i jus add oil in my gas do i still gota use the oil tank caz i rather jus mix in the gas so i no its gettin in the mmotor

"Yes, a rebuilt powerhead, if

"Yes, a rebuilt powerhead, if done properly is as good as or better than a brand new one (assuming all components were changed).

If the motor has oil injection you can't simply start mixing gas/oil and empty the oil tank. The pump is still operating and could cause you problems.

The oil pump has to either be removed completely, disabled or bypassed.

If it's working, my opinion is that there is NO valid reason to get rid of it. Failed oil pumps get blamed for everything from a dead battery to a prop damaged by rocks.

If owners maintained their motors even half as well as the oil injection system works most repair places would be out of business due to lack of work...."

it jus does not seem like its

it jus does not seem like its useing oil and jus recentley the motor nocking im hopeing its working right but i have no way of noing if its not gettin a nuff oil r what and yea i read a lot were people blam that for stupied stuff if anything its my falt an engen is a muichen it cant tell u when its sick

Back