Logo

Omc cobra 1990 5 liter shifting problem

russ_t

"I had my boat outdrive checke

"I had my boat outdrive checked for leaks and oil changed this spring. I was told the out drive would pop out of gear. This never happened before. I tried it myself and found it would shift intermittently ok. I was given some information, the intermediate cable could be the problem. I changed it realizing the ESA switch doesn't engage in forward position , it would appear the cable has too much travel or not enought tentsion to overcome the spring ? I have a clymer omc cobra stern drive shop manual. It was brought to my attention reading information on this web site I need more detailed information of this matter. I only know the engine model# 502aprpws stern#986035 year 1990 5 liter I dont know the make. I understand I should get the manual for that year. What manual do I get? My main question; is the out drive bad or just out of adjustment. I know when manually shifted it will run down the lake in both gears without poping out of gear."

"The model # you gave confirms

"The model # you gave confirms a 1990 5.0 ltr and the drive # confirms it's a drive for a 1990 5.0 ltr. I would really read this info at Stuart's website for setting up that cable
http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

and in my opinion this is the best manual you can buy as it is for your year and will cover your model, might seem a little pricey compared to some of the aftermarket ones but will more than pay for itself with the first repair, especially if you plan on keeping the boat for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1990-OMC-ENGINE-STERN-DRIVE-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ2 00360364013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Manuals_Literature?hash=item2ea66887ed&_trk sid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294% 3A50"

Bob I took your sugestion purc

Bob I took your sugestion purchasing the service manual. I havent recieved it yet. The clymer manual that I have now doesnt give full travel measurements for the shifting cable. I am wondering if the excessive cable travel which is disableing the esa switch in forward gear is due to a loose connector in the shifting linkage in the outdrive. This started with a intermitten shifting problem.

Back