Logo

Volvo penta 250 outdrive

papio

i have a problem that when you

i have a problem that when you put muffs on lower unit and plug drain hole the water does not make it to the water pump. i took loose the hose on the pump and stuck it into a bucket of water and it pumped water. the exhaust bellows leaked but water still came out the exhaust. the water hose from the intermediate unit to the upper part of the stern drive is good also. can anyone help?

"You have a suction leak!
Th

"You have a suction leak!
There is no need to circumvent the normal water pick up system while using the garden hose and muffs. If you have a problem, the issue is larger than this and will never be addressed if you feed water directly to the pump's suction side.

How long since the drive has been apart and re-sealed?
Have you replaced the "Water Neck" fitting?
Have you inspected the "S" hose?
Have you replaced the lower pivot tube O-ring? (the one between lower unit and Intermediate housing.... there are 3 O-rings there.)
Have you inspected the inside main suction hose and it's connections?

The "S" hose and "water neck" come out of the water when up on plane. If you have a leak, your pump will loose suction and your engine may over-heat!
You really need to go through these components and replace/repair what's in need of repair.

Again, to circumvent these just to run on the garden hose could end up being a shot in the foot while actually being out on the water!

Your call!
."

"Alvin, best to start a new th

"Alvin, best to start a new thread for your topic. Click on the "start new discussion" link!
There are several bearings that you could be asking about, so if you can be more specific, it would be very helpful.
Someone will be glad to chime in.

."

"Steve,
I had the same proble

"Steve,
I had the same problem. I was able to locate the leaks by pressurizing the suction side of the system using a garden hose just before the pump suction. By turning the hose on and then putting on the muffs and blocking the lower hole I was able to see leaks at the hose flange gasket, the hose itself, and at the lower o-ring.

With some guidance from Ricardo, replacing the part wasn't as difficult as it sounds. The key is that you need to identify the suction leaks first."

Re: i have a problem that when you

i have a problem that when you put muffs on lower unit and plug drain hole the water does not make it to the water pump. i took loose the hose on the pump and stuck it into a bucket of water and it pumped water. the exhaust bellows leaked but water still came out the exhaust. the water hose from the intermediate unit to the upper part of the stern drive is good also. can anyone help?

Did you get this fixed, I have the same problem, part numbers if you have them

Re: "You have a suction leak!
Th

Hello, I’m have problems with a Volvo penta 250 suction on the raw water pump, do you have the o-rings, s-hose, gaskets, etc for this out drive?

[email protected]
i also would like location of these items please
Thanks DHOTY

Re: "Alvin, best to start a new th

Looking for Volvo penta 250 suction line o rings gaskets locations and hoses
can you help please
DHOTY THANKS

Re: "Alvin, best to start a new th

Looking for Volvo penta 250 suction line o rings gaskets locations and hoses
can you help please
DHOTY THANKS

This forum is not for parts ordering, its for asking questions like "how do I..."

Generally, you would do better asking if anyone knows the part numbers or has a link to a reference for them,
BTW.... it is most likely that the "elbow" that the S hose connects to on the drive is corroded and porous. Replace gasket when you replace the elbow ... the S hose maybe ok...or not.

Alternatively, find a Volvo Penta dealer near you and ask them for the parts.

OR.... see link

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7743320-44-17285.aspx

While this diagram is for a 280 series drive ( much like the 260) the parts you are looking for are items # 27 and 28.

Other folks on this forum will know if its the same part for the 260 and 280 drives... I don't.

Last edited:
This is an old thread from July 2009.
While there are no rules against bringing an old thread up from the grave, its always best to start a new thread for your specific topic!

Back