Logo

43 Engine alignment

davesboat

"The people I have bought my n

"The people I have bought my new engine from have let me down on the installation date. Is it much of a job to fit the engine myself?, I have read that an alignment tool is needed,I had to buy a transom adaptor plate as I am changing from a 290 outdrive to an sx drive.
Starting to consider fitting this engine myself, but a bit concerned about how it affects the warranty if I do it myself"

"Wish I could have talked you

"Wish I could have talked you out of going to the SX from a 290.... or better yet, the SP C or DP C drive!
IMO, the SX is a step backwards, especially when the transom adapter must be used.
As you mention, you now have annual engine alignment to be concerned with.
You now have a rubber hubbed drive coupler.
You also have a more time consuming drive bellows replacement, etc.
OH well! Sorry.... no need to beat you up! Just my personal opinion on the shot in the foot that Volvo gave themselves in the 90's.

As for your question.... Yes, the alignment can be easily done. If you have warrantee concerns, take the boat back in to this dealer prior to installing the drive, and have a tech pull the tool and read the pattern.
It will take so little time, that they should not even charge you for this!
Have him document whether or not the pattern is acceptable! It literally takes five/ten minutes to make the adjustment..... but requires that the drive be removed!

Make absolutely certain that they give you ALL PARTS needed for the conversion. I mean ALL PARTS!
Make sure that this is noted on your invoice for your engine/drive package (if that was part of your negotiations).
You do not want to be "dinged" for additional parts that they later tell you were not included.
angry.gif

Good luck with it!"

"Ricardo has a lot of good inf

"Ricardo has a lot of good info. My only comment is you can remove your primary drive shaft at the first u-joint and use it for an alignment tool- guarantee not with standing. And have a helper with a pry bar under the motor mounts to give you an idea which way the mounts must be adjusted till your shaft slides in without much pressure. I confess the correct tool and grease for a marker is better, but this will work."

"The dealer finally came good

"The dealer finally came good yesterday,An engineer arrived to fit the engine and drive, he completed the job yesterday,now I have to connect the electrics/ fuel lines etc.
I was very suprised how easy it was to align the motor and drive.
Ricardo I understand what you are saying about the older drives, probably built better and last longer.
Hopefully I can sit back now and enjoy my boat.
I only have one issue at the moment, the loom for the trim has a different plug to the one coming from the leg, the loom one is round while the leg one is square.
Hooking up all the cables and fuel lines today, so I will report back.
Fingers crossed may get her fired up today, the engine came pre filled with oil, also the power steering came full of fluid volvo even supplied me with a bottle of steering fluid(something free!!) or are they trying to tell me something haha.
dave"

"Dave, good to hear this. You

"Dave, good to hear this. You may yet be able to enjoy what's left of the boating season.

Yes.... the alignment is easy..... It's the hassle of removing the drive that adds to this.... but certainly doable.

Something FREE? That does amaze me! LOL

Have fun!"

Back