Logo

Extremely Hard Power Steering Help fix

brimmy

"'95 3.0L Mercruiser; Has

"'95 3.0L Mercruiser; Has Teleflex, pump has fluid, no leaks anywhere. Can this system air-lock?? What should I look for? Its Extremely hard to turn port or starboard with engine running. Do I have a feedback system or ????? Basically help me out.

Thanks in advance."

"I had the same problem at the

"I had the same problem at the start of this season.

Mine was the steering cable, and fixing it made it turn like a new boat. The cable I removed had no way to lube, so had to replace.

I would isolate to the steering cable, as shown in the pic the Doc was so nice to post.
This way you can make sure that is where your problem is. I replaced the piece shown in the pic (mainly because I got it really cheap), but really didn't need to. It was the steering cable all along.

Also, you will need to bleed the system, per service manual. I could never find how much fluid that system holds. I believe mine held almost 3 quarts, so just be ready.

Thanks, jt
"

"Doc,

Those pics are awesom

"Doc,

Those pics are awesome. Thanks
Going to isolate the cable & see if that the culprit.
I could use some instructions as to the bleeding process.

Thanks, Brimmy"

"Brimmy,

Keep in mind the s

"Brimmy,

Keep in mind the steering cable runs from the nut on the left thru the tube and connects with a pin on the other side.

So...... when you remove the cable, the will be a fair amount of power steering fluid in your hands.

This is a very tight space (if your boat is like mine) to work in, so you may want to plan your attack before you start taking it all appart.

jt"

The bottom line about steering

The bottom line about steering cables is this.

99% have two 90 degree bends in them. The tighter the bends (typically the smaller the boat the tighter the bend) the quicker they wear out.
90 % of hard steering is due to wear at the bends of the sterring cable.
The other 10% is due to several other issues.

The cables are designed to fail after time. There is no lubrication abilities so they are what they are.

If you remove the clevis pin at the cable end at the transom assembly where the steering cable ends and the outdrive moves easily left and right the it is usually the cable.

I have never seen a power steering unit cause hard steering (thats just me). I have seen them cause steering issues but not consistant hard steering.

Some cable can last many years. Some last very few.

"So...... when you remove the

"So...... when you remove the cable, the will be a fair amount of power steering fluid in your hands

That is incorrect,there are no fluid concerms doing just the cable"

"My apologies! As I mentioned

"My apologies! As I mentioned above, I replaced the control valve also and I removed as one unit (cable and control valve). There was a fair amount of fluid, but as I remember now I never had only the cable out.

I would have thought the two connectors would release some fluid?

I was just surprized at how much the system held.

Good Luck!"

Back