Logo

Help with engine selection

"need some help. just bought a

"need some help. just bought an 86 glassport,165 rx project boat. the motor isnt there and dont know what i should put in,. it has an omc outdrive model 983486. how much power can this thing take? i dont want to tear it up on account of too much hp. also, where can i get a manual for this drive system? any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated"

"983486 is a mechanical string

"983486 is a mechanical stringer mount drive, last year was 1985, so the year isn't quite right.

There's no engine selection really, you need a 140hp OMC engine Model:302STHRCRA, it's a 3 Litre marine engine made by GM.
A 120HP/2.5 GM marine engine of similar vintage would work as well.
Your outdrive is geared for the 140HP, 3L. and the lower unit is only good to 140HP.
Beyond that, you will need to tell us exactly what is remaining in the hull for best advice.
Pictures better.

Before you worry about engines, evaluate the hull. If the transom is soft, or floor has waterlogged foam under it (identified by soft spots in the plywood) then you probably want to take whatever remaining parts there are and push the rest into the landfill.

The person before you may have already took the only good part and pawned the rest off on you.

Your boat has a stringer mount OMC drive. It has a crappy reputation. Don't dump tons of money into the boat thinking you can ever sell it for any real money.

If you are a good wrench, and love tinkering, the drive can be reliable with lots of money and searching for rare and expensive parts. But you have a 25 year old unit from a company that has been out of business for more than a decade.
I have one.. and I love it, but I spent many hours gathering spare parts to get where I'm comfortable using it."

"the hull is excelent, no rot

"the hull is excelent, no rot to speak of and everything but the motor is there, just not all together, got it all prety well figured out how to put it back just want to check all the bearings and seals first."

"idont know, that puzzled me a

"idont know, that puzzled me as well, maybe it blew? but knowing my luck the drive went to hell and i just havent found out yet. the guy i bought the boat from said he bought it the way it is and never got around to refurbishing it. kind of fishy i know but for a 400 dollar boat & trailer i figure i can make something out of it."

"[img][/img]
Somebody found o

"

Somebody found out it cost $150 to dump it in the landfill.
Can't go wrong for $400 if the trailer is sound.
However, you can go wrong fast by buying an engine for a seized up OMC stringer drive.

Take an ice pick and a hammer and start attacking the floor and transom wood.

Have you tried turning the ball gear or anything?"

"hello again. did the hammer t

"hello again. did the hammer test before i took the boat and all is good, believe it or not. just the plywood on the interior side walls need replacing as do the missing seats. as for the gears, the upper case turns free and doesnt feel rough, although i will probably replace the bearings anyway, just to make myself feel better. the lower drive was stuck so i tor it all apart today and found the bearings were seized from sitting too long without oil. i did manage to free them but i dont feel comfotable not replacing them. the gear sets show little if any wear and the cluch pack looks just as good. any tips on what i should run for grease/oil in this lower unit? thought it might take 80/90, im in vermont if that makes any diferance"

thank you for all your help. s

thank you for all your help. seems like you senior members realy know your stuff about boats. this is my first boat so this is a new breed of equpment for me but i hope to make the best of it thanks again ben

"Good day Ben
If you have Hy

"Good day Ben
If you have Hy Stat or if Bob Hill helps you, you will do it right. They know there stuf"

Back