Logo

Converting a Thermocondevelvo engine to centerrise

sandkicker

Outstanding Contributor
"Anyone done this successfully

"Anyone done this successfully??? Friend of mine doing this (replacing original log style manifolds/elbows with OSCO center rise). From looking at the water flow diagram of this system, it appears as if one can just:
1) remove the "T" in the raw water line that feeds the pressure relief valves.
2) Plumb the engine just the way it was (out of circulator pump, into back of exhaust manifolds and out of top of manifold (front) port into block)...and
3) use the standard "partial block" gasket between the centerrise manifolds and the exhaust elbows.
4) Run lines from the two ports on the T'stat housing to each of the elbows."

"Robert

The other item is t

"Robert

The other item is that the elbow-hose connection moves forward, too. You'll need a hose stretcher, or new hose to fill the void. I'd avoid a straight splice in that area."

"Where we are with this so far

"Where we are with this so far...

1) Replaced all the hoses (except the circ pump to tstat housing one) with new hoses.
2) The lines from the circ pump to the back of the manifolds has an approx 2 ft run of 1" copper tubing (with sweat elbows) as it runs past the manifold exhaust ports (w/support clamps).
3)The line from the block to the top/front of the manifold was moved to the port on the front bottom of the manifold (top front port now blocked).

On-hose tests now OK... launching early next week. If all goes Ok, will post photo."

"No, as I no longer have acces

"No, as I no longer have access to the boat. It belonged to a friend who has since moved out of the area. However, I do have a pdf of a document showing how to do it if you are interested. ( diagram and materials list)"

"[b]Quote: (replacing orig

"Quote: (replacing original log style manifolds/elbows with OSCO center rise)
This tells me that we are discussing a V-8... correct?
SBC????
SBF???
Raw water cooled???

Robert, just an FYI more than anything here..... but when going from a log style manifold to a centerise type, you can eliminate a few of the hoses if you wanted to, simplifying the system.
The center rise style can be singly fed using the man-to-riser feed via the ports between the two (depending on the raw water system T stat housing type)
Or....
you can feed the FWD ports of the manifolds and come out the rear to then feed the risers..... but best to use the "restrictor" type gaskets in this case! (as described in your # 3)

Don't know if this is of any value to you guys, but it can be done..... been there/done this!

Your # 2 has me somewhat puzzled. (let me preface this one: we have a "sea water pump".... and we have an engine "Circ" pump!)
Can you explain why you would take a hose from the engine "Circ" pump to anything but the engine block water jackets or a WH or Cabin Heater "return"?

No dog in any fight here..... just curious!
I too would like to see a schematic of what has been done.
Again, just curious!

."

"Rick...

Its a Raw water co

"Rick...

Its a Raw water cooled SBC.. I'll email you the diagram in a day or so. The computer that the file is on has some "issues". BTW... This conversion has been installed and running for several months without any issues. If I had to do it again, I'd install drain petcocks at the rear of the manifolds, i.e replace the copper elbows with T's w/plugs."

Back