Logo

Flooding 305

jimmyw

"can anyone help me with my ge

"can anyone help me with my gen2 305?? I keep the boat in the water during the winter and after the hard freeze I started the motor and let it run for about an hour. a few weeks later I went to start the motor and it cranked aprox 4-5 times and locked up. I pulled the starter and found the nose had cracked completely off,blaming it on a bad starter I put a new one on and again after 4-5 rotations it locked up again. After removing plugs I found all cylinders full of water.I then pulled both heads and found both gaskets in bad shape. after checking the heads for warpage I redid the valve seals,gaskets and put it all back toghether. it again flooded just as bad and just as quick. could it be both heads are bad?? and should I be concerned about the block??"

cracked block a real possibili

cracked block a real possibility. Keeping boat in water in the winter without totally winterizing the engine is always a crap shoot.

"you are right it is a crap sh

"you are right it is a crap shoot, but I did winterize it but may have jumped the gun and started it too soon. thanks"

"ok, here goes. As my first po

"ok, here goes. As my first post stated after finding the nose cracked on the starter I purchaced another and installed it..now a little motor theory 101 what happens when you spin a gas motor backwards?? it sucks in the exaust and blows out the carb......the parts guy sold me the wrong starter I have the correct on on now and except for a weakened seawater impellor(from bieing spun backwards) all is now good"

Back