Logo

Replace 454bs 350 HP with 57 330 HP

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
"I found a place that has drop

"I found a place that has drop in refurbished Crusaders (total package, exhaust, oil/tranny cooler, mounts, etc. They have carburated 300 HP units for $6000 and fuel injected units (330 HP) for $7,500. I'd be replacing 454's that have 350 HP. I'd go with the ones with 330 HP (injected) over the 300 HP (carburated). A loss of 40 HP may by OK, but 100 HP would be pushing it I think. If the marina would remove mine and install these refurbished units for $10,000, I might consider it. $25,000 for warrenteed refurbished units looks a lot better than $45,000 for new. This all depends on weather or not the seller will reduce the price of his vessel a bunch if his engines are clapped out (I'll know the sory sometime this week).
Nightstalker"

"I don't know what you are

"I don't know what you are putting them in but I don't think you will be happy with the performance. You are asking alot of 350's to replace 454's. If the boat is over 13,000lbs I wouldn't do it."

My last good deal on a boat en

My last good deal on a boat ended up costing me enough money that it would have been cheaper to by a boat that was already together. I would take what you think it will cost and add 50% that will be a more accurate number. I'll bet if the engines are ify then there will be other things that need updating too.

"Ditto Jim's comment, thou

"Ditto Jim's comment, though I'd up the gear ratio if it were over 10K#. Brian's observation about the "other things" should also be considered.

Why don't you get the surveyor out to get you a first hand assessment, then start the negotiations or get another copy of 'yachts4sale'. It may be everything is as expected; it maybe that the whole drive train needs to be replaced (due to electrolysis), let alone the engines. Believe me, parting with the better part of a grand isn't easy but I think you will find it money well spent. Make sure you get a well experienced one, preferrably one with SAMS on his/her card:
http://www.marinesurvey.org/index2.html"

"Gary,

Listen to these comm

"Gary,

Listen to these comments...My boat was a GOOD deal...THANK GOODNESS it was because when it was finally a boat I WOULD RIDE ON, I could have bought a newer and better one for the total cost it had taken to get it to this level."

"All of your comments make sen

"All of your comments make sence to me. I would only do the survey after a ride on the vessel and a second compression test this week. The owner is footing the bill for all of that. I would have to have a decision on repower before I would go any farther. I can't see buying a vessel with clapped out engines without having a repower plan. Even with that, I fear that there could be a lot more "stuff" in need of attention. A survey should give me an idea of what it needs.
Nightstalker"

Back