Logo

Volvo Penta AQ205 431 No power No plain

rafael_luna

"Hello,
I have twin AQ205 wit

"Hello,
I have twin AQ205 with 290 DPs. I can't get the boat on plane. The engines start fine and idle fine. When I try to get on plane the engines top out at 2800 rpm when they should be at low 3000's. I have the throttle's pegged and they won't go past 2800. The bottom and props are clean. I replaced the port fuel pump hoping that was the problem but didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rafael"

"The condition of the bottom a

"The condition of the bottom and props would have been one of my first questions..... but you have answered this!

Have you owned this boat for a length of time?
Have you been able to plane before?
I'd also need to ask what (if any) recent changes have been made to either engine?
I'd not run this until you can achieve the spec'd WOT RPM. Avoid engine damage!

My advice would be to go at this using the ole P of E (process of elimination).
I.E., One item ONLY at a time until you either find the problem, or eliminate potentials.
Throw enough parts at anything, and you'll eventually get it.
If you were to do this, you'll never know what the problem was and you are less prepared to deal with similar issues in the future.

Assuming that you have gone through all fuel related and ignition related systems....... have you checked and/or set your TA (total advance)?
Many do not realize the importance of this.

."

"Are you sure the problem is e

"Are you sure the problem is engine related? Also, have you had this problem before or did it start all of a sudden? It may be that your boat is too heavy, or the setting of the power trim or trim tabs needs to be changed for the boat to plane."

Thanks for all the suggetions!

Thanks for all the suggetions! The boat is a 1990 Carver Santego. I have had the boat since 1994. This problem started on and off two years ago. Then toward the end of last year it would not plane. I changed the port fuel pump because the diaphram ruptured. I was hoping this was my problem. I do not know how to set my total advance but I can look it up. I never had a problem with the trim tabs being set to far up or down. I've set the power trim all the way down and then inched it up till it got to +1 on the trim meter with no luck. I had one interesting moment last year when I was trying to get on plane for about 5 minutes when there was a burst of power. The boat planed for about 5 minutes then it fell back and I could plane any more.
I just changed the water/fuel seperator hoping that was the problem but still nothing.
Thanks again for any suggestions.
Rafael

"OK, you've owned the boat

"OK, you've owned the boat for several years!
No new changes to anything engine related!
Bottom clean/drives clean!
But it did start acting up last season, correct?

Looks like the ole P of E, Rafael!
Keep at it, do it thuroughly starting at the fuel tank pick up tube "screen", anti-siphon valves, and work your way back through the fuel system! Then on to compression readings! (you may have two very tired engines!)

Then on to ignition (including the TA that I spoke of) and just about any thing that is a critical component to your engine(s).
With exception to fuel system shake down; One item only at a time will serve you best!

If you suspect fuel contamination problems, go to the Parker/RACOR system. Money well spent! IMO."

Back