Logo

Electric fuel pump

xspy99

"Hi all,

I have a Johnson 2

"Hi all,

I have a Johnson 235 VRO and i have fitted a large fuel tank in the bow of my boat.
Would i be able to run a low pressure electric fuel pump and bypass the VRO pump on the engine? I premix my fuel anyway.

Thank you."

"electric fuel pumps,are not r

"electric fuel pumps,are not recommended for outbards,--except the fuel inj ones--.however,i have seen a few over the yrs rigged w/one....functional yes,but a serious safety issue."

"Why do you want to do that? I

"Why do you want to do that? I use to run a 90HP Johnson on a 17"CC with the tank in the bow and did not need an electric pump. With that said I use to run a Holley redtop (6lb pressure)on a Merc 150. But I had to add a regulator because the carbs couldn't handle the pressure at idle. With the regulator cranked down I didn't have enough pressure at high RPMs. People that race these motors do it all the time. However, like lwb mentioned it can be a major safety issue. They have to be rigged so they will shut off if something happens to the motor while zipping along. If you really want to pursue this you can get more info about it at Scream and fly.com"

"I considered the same thing.

"I considered the same thing. My 18' runabout has an 18 gallon tank under the enclosed bow and I've had fuel delivery problems several times with my '79 Evinrude 140. I asked my mechanic about fitting an electric pump and he had the same safety concerns that JWB and IBFishin have said. I took his advice and I'm planning to fit a new fuel tank in the stern of the boat. I wish I would have realized this problem when I rebuilt he boat 5 years ago. Oh well, live and learn. I'll make the best of it and should no longer have fuel problems.

KJ"

"In some cases where I had mor

"In some cases where I had more than 10Ft of fuel line from tank to engine, I installed 2 pumps. That normally solved the problem. Then keep a minimum of 3/8 lines from tank to engine."

Back