Logo

454 fuel problem

denis_k

"Well seems like as soon as I

"Well seems like as soon as I found coolant leak it was the gasket between the block and manifold I just got new challenge here it is one of my engines burns more fuel and I am not that familiar with the world of carburetors.
Is it most likely carb problem or should I look for something else, because engine runs great but at 3000rpms burns 25%more fuel? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. And if it is a carb any good source to get one around brick nj area.
Thank you Denis."

"You've got to figure out

"You've got to figure out what you have before you can fix it. Differences of 10% are not uncommon between twins on a given boat.

Make sure both engines are tuned properly. Then check the timing advance to make sure it is working. Then get a vacuum gauge and see what each engine does at ~ 200 rpm increments. The manifold vacuum is the main 'signal' that draws the fuel into the airstream inside the carb. It could be a quick fix or a more time consuming activity.

Its also beneficial to note things like when the secondaries open and how much the primaries are open at cruise, if there are drips from the secondary accelerator ports, etc.

Either way, it will be time well spent as you'll know much more about your engine's operation. Worst case is you learn more - best case is you can save at least 25% on your cruise fuel bill."

I would think if it was burnin

I would think if it was burning 25% more fuel the spark plugs on that side would be black. Are the plugs new on both sides? Check to see if they look different from side to side. Also do an oil analysis after 25 hours and see if there is fuel in the oil.

Back