Logo

Chrysler 105 1977 fuel oil mix and steering question

chltx

"Old boat and motor but new to

"Old boat and motor but new to me. Need to know the correct fuel oil mixture, I am using 32 right now and get a fair amount of smoke.

Also I have to use a lot or right steering when speed increases and the boat is leaning slightly left side low at hight speed."

"You can mix at 50:1 and shoul

"You can mix at 50:1 and should cure some of the smoke as well.

That "pull" is probably due to a couple possible conditions.

A bit of engine torque will cause the pull, but also just the loading of weight on the boat, or a minor hull defect, or a dirty hull etc can cause one side to drag a little more.

If your battery is on the left, try moving it to the right (or any little trick like that to see if you can balance out a bit).

If despite all your efforts she still pulls, you may have to outfit the boat with trim tabs (which every boat rigged with more than 75 horses should have anyhow)...."

I have two batteries on the le

I have two batteries on the left and can not move them. I checked the cavitation plate and it is even with the bottom of the boat. The pull is not just torque. It takes about 10 lbs of right stearing to keep it straight. Will look into trim tabs and see it that helps.

Thanks.

You will love a good set of be

You will love a good set of bennits. How does it float in still water will give you a good idea where the problem lies.

Also a change of prop may help.

UPDATE: I checked the boat ju

UPDATE: I checked the boat just sitting in the water and had a 2 degree left tilt. Not bad. I also have not been able to trim the motor up while running. I installed bolts to stop the motor at the 3rd holes from the boat . My prior runs caused a left turning and a speed of 29 mph. With the motor set at the 3rd hole there was a slight right turn pull at full speed and now the speed was up to 35. I just need to fix the trim system so I can trim the motor.

Anyone know where I can get a new or parts to rebuild the trim system?

Thanks for your inputs.

Re: UPDATE: I checked the boat ju

Regarding the normal 50:1 mix for a Chrysler 105, the Amsoil Saber Outboard recommends a 100:1 pre-mix; is that appropriate for this engine or...?

Last edited:
On the lower unit is an exhaust snout.
It should be adjustable.Looking at the back of the motor.
If the boat turns left hard,then turn it to the left.
Hard right then turn right.
Sometimes a guy named RRitt answers hydrolic trim questions on this site.
I'm sure he's at iboats .com on the Force Forum.
He rebuilds them too.
Depending on the size of the boat,trim tabs can be dangerous.J

Re: UPDATE: I checked the boat ju

Regarding the normal 50:1 mix for a Chrysler 105, the Amsoil Saber Outboard recommends a 100:1 pre-mix; is that appropriate for this engine or...?
The Mercury Premium Quicksilver 'Plus', make sure you get the 'plus',
is about as 'smokeless' as an oil can get from my experience even
compared to full synthetic's but I've also mixed those at the recommend
50:1 too.

Jack

Back